Canadian Bacon and Dried Beef (cured & smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Points and thank you so much for this step by step Bear. I used it for a batch of Canadian bacon that hit the smoke today and it is delicious.

Thread with Q-View for my cook http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/259791/pork-sirloin-roast-canadian-bacon-w-q-view

I'll definitely be trying out the dried beef portion of this one next. That looks tasty.
Thank You SOT !!

I'm glad you liked it.

Nice Job on yours!
icon14.gif

And Thanks for the Points.

BTW: The one you used was for making CB & Dried Beef together. You might like the individual Step by Steps better.

Here's one of each:

Dried Beef (Best Ever) 

Bear

Is the beef as salty as what you can buy at the store?  I hate typical, not low-sodium, store-bought bacon because it has too much salt so how does your dried beef stand up to that salt level?
Salt??----Not not even close if you follow my Step by Steps.

A guy I graduated with was the 3rd generation owner of the biggest Dried Beef Processor on the East Coast (maybe the country)---"Knauss' Dried Beef".

I think they had to add extra salt & do other things, because some of their packaging didn't go into Refrigeration. It went in Jars & Bags, and they were displayed right on the shelf at the store. You couldn't do that with mine. Mine needs to be refrigerated.

Bear

I have about 8 lbs of beef round roast and 4 lbs of pork loin in the meat fridge right now. I put the beef in on 10/5 and the pork in 10/7. Both with Tender Quick. The way my schedule works out, I'm not going to be able to smoke this 10/13 but I could do it on 10/14. Or I could let it cure for two weeks (10/20). Is that OK? Can I "over" cure? Should I be doing anything to the meat during these two weeks? I plan to pull everything out on 10/19 and rinse and then give it overnight in the meat fridge and then smoke the morning of 10/20.

I have about 8 lbs of beef round roast and 4 lbs of pork loin in the meat fridge right now. I put the beef in on 10/5 and the pork in 10/7. Both with Tender Quick. The way my schedule works out, I'm not going to be able to smoke this 10/13 but I could do it on 10/14. Or I could let it cure for two weeks (10/20). Is that OK? Can I "over" cure? Should I be doing anything to the meat during these two weeks? I plan to pull everything out on 10/19 and rinse and then give it overnight in the meat fridge and then smoke the morning of 10/20.

Those 14 days should be OK. I wouldn't like to see it much longer than 14 days though.
People say you can't over-cure, but IMO that's true with a Wet equalization Brine cure, but with a Potent Dry cure, it is possible to get it too salty, because it just keeps putting the salt into the meat, especially with TQ.

Flip the packages over every day during the curing period, and massage a little bit.

Bear

Those 14 days should be OK. I wouldn't like to see it much longer than 14 days though.
People say you can't over-cure, but IMO that's true with a Wet equalization Brine cure, but with a Potent Dry cure, it is possible to get it too salty, because it just keeps putting the salt into the meat, especially with TQ.

Flip the packages over every day during the curing period, and massage a little bit.

Bear
Thanks Bear - I appreciate the guidance. I'm going to go flip the packages right now and work them a bit. The waiting is the hardest part! I'll try to remember to post some pics after when I pull them out to smoke and after the smoke. My wife is very excited for some homemade dried beef.

Thanks Bear - I appreciate the guidance. I'm going to go flip the packages right now and work them a bit. The waiting is the hardest part! I'll try to remember to post some pics after when I pull them out to smoke and after the smoke. My wife is very excited for some homemade dried beef.

That's Great---You guys will love Both.
Dried Beef & Cheese was my Favorite Sammy even back 50 years before I was able to Smoke it myself!!

Bear

"tonka16827 said:

Bear "

What are the pros and cons to dry brine versus wet brine for pork loin turned into Canadian bacon?

I'm heading over to the above mentioned threads now, will be back shortly.

Bear "

What are the pros and cons to dry brine versus wet brine for pork loin turned into Canadian bacon?

I'm heading over to the above mentioned threads now, will be back shortly.

That's a matter of opinion:
The Cure #1 in an equilibrium brine is easier to cure without worrying about overcuring.
However I like the flavor of my TQ cured meats better, I figure because it doesn't have to sit in mostly water for weeks. Either way makes Great Stuff!!
And like I mentioned above---You can overcure with TQ, if you Dry cure it too long.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear, I used TQ way back when I did my first pastrami maybe 11 ish years ago now. Actually I may still have the remainder of that box up in the cupboard, suppose that it is still ok? Never moist, air is controlled all seasons, because it is salt, I'm assuming it is ok.

It was available locally when #1 cure was not. Now I have both and have been doing the Pops style for a while now for pastrami and bellie bacon. I'll try your way if you think the TQ is still good to go.

Thanks Bear, I used TQ way back when I did my first pastrami maybe 11 ish years ago now. Actually I may still have the remainder of that box up in the cupboard, suppose that it is still ok? Never moist, air is controlled all seasons, because it is salt, I'm assuming it is ok.

It was available locally when #1 cure was not. Now I have both and have been doing the Pops style for a while now for pastrami and bellie bacon. I'll try your way if you think the TQ is still good to go.

As far as I know, as long as it doesn't get wet, or sit in the sun for years it should be fine---Like forever.
I keep mine in a plastic jar with a lid for years, in a wall cabinet in my Kitchen.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky