Can i turn tough cooked beef brisket tender?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SlavFlavBlav

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hello

I was smoking a brisket point. It had been in the smoker for not very long time, around 2 hours. I couldn't wait and watch the fire, so I decided to take it off from the smoker and put it into oven at 120 celcius for 3 hours and forget it. After it finish I let it rest for 1 hour and start slice it.
The brisket tasted great, the rub was great. The problem is that the meat is tough

Is there anything I can do to turn cooked brisket tender? Maybe turn into other dish?

Sorry for my bad english

Thank you

Your English is fine, don't worry about it.
Heck, post in your native, we all have computers and can translate it.

So it only had five (5) hours of cooking time?
Your problem is that it is under cooked, no time for the heat to do it's magic.
Finish the cook... Put it back into the 120° celsius smoker or oven, bring the IT up to 90.5°C and start probing for tenderness.
Between 90.5°C - 96.1°C it should become what we call butter tender, i.e. a sharp probe (toothpick, thermometer tip) will slide in like it is butter.
Wrapping the brisket in foil with a little beef broth may help speed the cook time.
Or
Or cube it up and use it in a soup, chile or whatever, but it will still need to cook till tender.

Reactions: SlavFlavBlav
Your English is fine, don't worry about it.
Heck, post in your native, we all have computers and can translate it.

So it only had five (5) hours of cooking time?
Your problem is that it is under cooked, no time for the heat to do it's magic.
Finish the cook... Put it back into the 120° celsius smoker or oven, bring the IT up to 90.5°C and start probing for tenderness.
Between 90.5°C - 96.1°C it should become what we call butter tender, i.e. a sharp probe (toothpick, thermometer tip) will slide in like it is butter.
Wrapping the brisket in foil with a little beef broth may help speed the cook time.
Or
Or cube it up and use it in a soup, chile or whatever, but it will still need to cook till tender.
If i wanted to make it into soup, how long should i braise it?
Thank you, mister.

If you are using a pressure cooker for raw brisket the usual time would be 12-15 minutes at 15 pounds per square inch. Starting with cooked but not yet tender brisket I suspect that 10 minutes at 15 pounds per square inch would work well.

For a stove top and oven method I'm guessing that you will cube it. If you cube it to 25mm or so and bring it to a simmer on the stove top in a heavy pot with a tight lid you can finish it in a 300 degree F (150 degree centigrade) oven for around 2 hours, maybe a little less. One advantage of the oven method is that any meat exposed above the liquid will be nicely browned.

For stove top only I suspect that 1-1/2 hours at a low simmer (some breaking bubbles but not a boil) will get the job done.

At any rate, for either the stove/oven or all stove method you can check it as you go. Good luck and please let us now what you try and how it turns out. I suspect that this is a learning chance for all of us.

I'd take a chunk off that baby and make a good hash and chili. But that's the way I like to roll.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky