Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thornton Melon

Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I just picked up the smoke vault and I’m doing some initial burn in/test runs.
I picked-up the pellet maze (though now im seeing most go with the tube for the smoke vault) but figured id see if i can make the maze work given the 12 hour potential smoke time.
I initially put it directly on the chip tray. Of course that burned up 2 rows of pellets in an hour and a half.
I’ve currently placed a brick on the bottom lefthand side and set the maze on top of that to get it away from the fire. But now the pellets being close to the lower vent has all the smoke just exiting out the bottom and no smoke making its way to the top vent.
Does anybody have the better solution to utilize the longer pellet smoke time?
Itd be great to use the maze but im open to suggestions.
Thanks!

Attachments

• F75FE084-EDAE-459F-8335-E7C8B8F974F8.jpeg
    F75FE084-EDAE-459F-8335-E7C8B8F974F8.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 85
I think it might go out as "the burn" approaches the Al foil, since that's blocking air flow from below, and I assume is being used just as a lower support. Maybe get some 2" long #6-32 or 8-32 screws and use them as stilts (legs) to raise the maze above the floor? (With the round tubes, many just use two U-bolts to space them off flat surfaces.)

You may be totally happy with the smoke flavor you get that way. If you want more, many put a fry pan (cast iron works great) over the burner and put flat-ended wood chunks (if close to the flame) or chips (if further from the flame) for even more smoke. You may want to start following the Propane Smokers subsection in the "Smoking Supplies and Eqpt" part of this forum to get more ideas.

Reactions: Thornton Melon
Turned off the burner and its smokin great. So the burner is eating up that smoke.
Turn the brick on its side to try to get the tray a little higher than the vent, but then the water tray doesn’t fit back in. Seems like that tube would fit nicely just suspended with something off the bracket that holds that water pan.

Set it under the water/drip pan right up against the bottom vent so it gets good air. It doesn't matter one bit if it smokes out the bottom vent a little. As long as the top vent is wide open you're good to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky