Cajun Napalm!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I was almost out of homemade roux...time to make some more! I had about 2 qts. of rendered lard leftover from the lard I melted down to make the sugna for my dry cured meats. I heated that up in my cast iron pot and added 7 cups of flour to it.
IMG_20220117_202852705.jpg

Now I am stocked with roux ready to go once again. If you have a C.I. pot that needs to be seasoned, making a big batch of roux is a great way to do it!
IMG_20220117_205224414.jpg

I like how you think! But I have gravy issues...I suddenly am imagining how much gravy that could make!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Good call! My CI Dutch oven has been getting jealous for attention lately. This looks like a good way to show some love!

Ive never made a roux pre made for later use.. I really like this idea. What's your method for storing it??

Ive never made a roux pre made for later use.. I really like this idea. What's your method for storing it??
Let the roux cool until the pot is warm to the touch...about 140-150*F, then hot pack into wide mouth mason jars to 3/4" from top, screw lid on and set on counter to cool to room temp. Store at room temp. The Aw is really really low after frying the flour. Pack it very warm and it does not have time to suck in moisture from the air.

Reactions: Sowsage
Let the roux cool until the pot is warm to the touch...about 140-150*F, then hot pack into wide mouth mason jars to 3/4" from top, screw lid on and set on counter to cool to room temp. Store at room temp. The Aw is really really low after frying the flour. Pack it very warm and it does not have time to suck in moisture from the air.
Thanks inda, this is great info!
Whats the shelf life?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky