Cajun Buttermilk Rib Eye CFS In The Emeril 360 (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yesterday was a bit of a yucky day. It was warm but overcast and raining most of the day. Just kinda blah. I wanted some sort of comfort food and decided to do chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and some sort of a veggie. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do something a bit different. I've loved CFS since I was a kid and I love pretty much anything Cajun. Hmmm...seemed to be a likely pairing. Here's what I came up with.

Got the rib eye cap steaks out
002.jpg

Here is the dredge. AP flour and a hefty dose of my Cajun seasoning
003.jpg

Jaccard the snot out of the steaks
005.jpg

Then beat the heck out of them with the meat mallet
006.jpg

Dredge in flour, dunk into buttermilk, then back in the flour for the final coating
007.jpg

Into the 360 air fryer
008.jpg

Got some taters cut up to make mashed taters
010.jpg

Got the gravy started
011.jpg

Perfect Cajun influenced "white" gravy
012.jpg

Steaks coming along nicely
014.jpg

All the goodies added to the taters. Time to mix them up
015.jpg

Money shot. CFS with gravy, mashed taters with gravy, and green beans. did somebody say "gravy" ?
017.jpg

It appears that our good friend John Bearcarver Bearcarver may have started yet another legacy. These 360 air fryers are becoming immensely popular here. I replied to a thread last week that I needed to start using mine more and yesterday was the perfect day. They are so versatile you can do almost anything with them.

CFS was done at 400 degrees on the air fry setting for 12 minutes. It was perfectly cooked and so tender you could cut it with a plastic soup spoon. Both of us were amazed by the tenderness. The Cajun flavor set it so far over the top, I can't begin to describe it. The most flavorful chicken fried steak I've ever had. Just way better than a basic batter. Green beans are always good. Ya just can't go wrong there. It was the gravy though that was the chart topper!! That stuff was otherworldly. Never had gravy like that but it is now my forever go-to for base gravy and it can be seasoned however you want to. This time it was with more of the Cajun seasoning, black pepper, and a tad bit of salt. It was so good I made it again this morning to top pretty much everything on my breakfast plate. One good, hearty, comfort food dinner. Sadly though it brought on another food coma. We both went back for more taters and gravy to the point that we were licking the pan. This was the ultimate comfort food meal for me.

I really liked this one!!
Robert

I love CFS for breakfast, lunch, or dinner Robert, and your looks to be perfect, Like. RAY

Reactions: xray
Looks Awesome, Robert!!
At first I thought it odd to do that to a Ribeye, but by the time I got to the end, I figured, "What the Hey, Nothing like a Steak you can cut with a plastic knife!!!"
Nice Job.
Chicken Fried Steak is something I don't think I ever had, but I always wondered where it got it's name, since it isn't Chicken, and obviously the Chef didn't have feathers either.
Nice Job & Great Thread, Robert!!
Like.

Bear

Chicken Fried Steak is something I don't think I ever had, but I always wondered where it got it's name, since it isn't Chicken, and obviously the Chef didn't have feathers either.

The name was derived from taking a steak (most places use cheap stuff and tenderize the heck out of it) then batter it like fried chicken, and fry it..hence the "chicken fried steak". In a lot of locales outside of Texas something similar is served that's called Country Fried Steak.

Robert

We have an unusually warm February day here but of course it’s raining and dreary....but that chicken fried steak is exactly what I need!

I’ve never eaten it before, but I know I’d be all over it. Looks delicious my friend!

Like!

Hell yeah Robert. I love CFS and that looks outstanding. Its been too long since I have had one. I could eat that whole plate twice right now. Big LIKE my friend!

I've been in the mood for a good Chicken Fried Steak for a while, and you go and post this.
I knew when you said Rib-eye it was going to be good. The Cadillac of CFS's Wow ! and in the Air Fryer. Nice Job my friend

Gary

We have an unusually warm February day here but of course it’s raining and dreary....but that chicken fried steak is exactly what I need!

I’ve never eaten it before, but I know I’d be all over it. Looks delicious my friend!

Joe...you can't go wrong with CFS. It is so good, so hearty, and so comforting. I guarantee you'll love it. Should you decide to give it a run and want the details on how I did this, just say so.

Robert

I love CFS for breakfast, lunch, or dinner Robert, and your looks to be perfect, Like. RAY

Thanks Ray. It was as perfect as I could ever ask for, and so much better than what I've eaten that was commercially prepared. I guess that just stands to reason though. Anything you make at home to your specific tastes is always going to be better.

Robert

The name was derived from taking a steak (most places use cheap stuff and tenderize the heck out of it) then batter it like fried chicken, and fry it..hence the "chicken fried steak". In a lot of locales outside of Texas something similar is served that's called Country Fried Steak.

Robert

Mrs Bear said, "You're right", She was a waitress in the early 60s, and it was called "Country Fried Steak" around here.

Bear

Mrs Bear said, "You're right", She was a waitress in the early 60s, and it was called "Country Fried Steak" around here.

No question that Mr's Bear is a smart lady. I mean look who she married after all :emoji_wink: My biggest takeaway on restaurant prepared CFS is the breading to meat ratio. I know you can relate to that Bear. They beat the poor steak till it's only about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick then put a huge coating of batter on it. When it shows up on a serving platter it looks huge and 2 inches thick. Then you cut into it and the thing is all breading. I've seen Tracy order CFS once in a restaurant. Took a bite and left the rest. Taters and veggies were her meal. She just couldn't handle all that soggy breading. Some places can get it at least a bit crunchy but most of the time, it's not appealing to me. She did comment last night that the breading on mine was perfect. Just enough to get a nice little crunch but the steak was still the star. I was happy with that :emoji_laughing:

I like Mrs. Bear and never met her...
Robert

Thanks Robert!!
Yup, She's a good Kid!!
You'd like her even more if you met her.

Bear

Last edited:
Fell in love with CFS when I moved to Arkansas in the 70's. I've had em pan fried, deep fried, oven fried. And I suspect I'll have them air fried before too much longer. I like them as you presented Robert, Awesome looking meal by the way! Or as a sandwich.

Looks awesome tx. I remember GMA used to make that all the time with the tougher cuts after butchering. I wish i had her gravy recipe she used. To die for. . .

Holy cow, every other thread these days is done in an air fryer!
But that whole meal sure looks good especially the CFS!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky