Buying a chain saw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Here in central Oklahoma at this time last year, we were just thawing out after an ice storm. I have a stick burner. And there was an incredible amount of limbs broken off trees. I saw lots of pecan and oak. And today I still regret not buying a chain saw and stocking up. People would've been glad for me to take out of their way.

So now I'm in the market for an electric chain saw. I've decided on electric cause I won't use this saw very often and keeping a 2 cycle gas engine running is a pain, even if its often used.

I watched this fella do a very objective test of several electric saws on YouTube. I'll post the vids. His number one was a 16" Echo, followed by a 16" Dewalt. Home Depot has both those saws in stock, both for around $350. But he says the 14" Ryobi is a good saw for someone who will just it occasionally, which would be me. Its priced at $200. Right now, I have a corded $40 , 14" electric from Harbor Freight, that I really don't trust for reliability or for safety. I wonder if the Ryobi would be much of an upgrade. But $150 would buy a lot of splits.

Its not that I can't afford the Dewalt or Echo. Its more than I think those saws may be more than I need. I also appreciate value.

Tough decision, that I'm rollin around.

Reactions: JLeonard
I love the Makita platform for cordless tools . That's what I used at work and own several . No chainsaw , but I have the leaf blower and the hedge trimmer .
The blower is the dual battery 36 volt set up . It's awesome . I wouldn't be afraid to buy the chainsaw my self , buy I have 10 batteries and 3 chargers already .

I have a 12 inch 40 volt green works my wife bought me for my birthday three years ago still runs great and I have used it a lot cutting up branches that fall in the yard and small dead falls I cut up for firewood four four wheeler camp probably use it about 20 times a year . Love it

Grew up using a Stihl and now have one of my own. Just a small gas powered saw, but it does the job, and you can pick one up for under $200 when they have a special. Some tools I don’t mind having electric/battery, but I never want a saw to cut out for lack of juice in the middle of working. Just like a good ole gas powered saw.

I know battery powered outdoor tools are getting better all the time so let us know what you go with and how it holds up. Good luck!

I've always liked STIHL, but not to familiar with battery ones as I've always used gas. Interested in what you get and what you think of it.

I have a small STIHL gas and just use the canned stabilized pre-mix and have no problems with firing it up only once or twice a year. If I know it’s going to sit for a long time I will drain the fuel then run it dry.....way less of a pain than electric......IMO

These are all battery electric.
The new cordless platforms are great tools .
I used the 36v Makita circular saw at work to cut 2 x 6 fire treated blocking . 2 - 5 amp hour batteries would run all day . That 5 amp hour is 5 hours under load .
The brush less tool is the way to go .
Check out Acme tools online . I bought an overhead drum sander from them , but they sell all kinds of tools . Even smokers and grills . They run specials on the Makita comes with 4 batteries and a dual charger . They also have the DeWalt and several other brands .

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Battery wise I am most impressed with the Milwaukee fuel line. The tools are all solid and the batteries have excellent life. Never used the chainsaw, but my new neighbor has one and it has done an impressive job cleaning up their yard.

I'm the same as civilsmoker civilsmoker for gas powered chainsaws. Work wise we only use them 2-3 times a year and already have 2 chainsaws and a pole saw. The canned fuel is nice, but expensive. You can make it yourself by getting no ethanol fuel, use synthetic oil, and add fuel stabilizer.

Buy gas powered, electric saws are junk. Just buy a few cans of the pre treated fuel to keep around, they will last forever. As for the saw, either a STIHL Pro grade or a Husky Pro grade, don't cheap it out on the homeowners models, they are plastic garbage that will break if dropped once. If a chainsaw can't be tossed when needed, they are useless.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Personal choice if you want electric or gas... not familiar with the electric ones but agree cordless battery power has greatly improved over the years! Bought a Jonsered chain saw probably 25 years ago... got tired of the cheap chain saws that never ran when needed, had a wood burner at the time in an old rental house. Don't use it but a few times a year now and for many years, but the oil I use already has stabilizer in it... about 3 pulls and it starts every time! But wasn't cheap back then... thinking $400 to $500, but worth every penny to me! Let us know what you decide

Ryan

Gas is what I would recommend. Get ethanol free gas and use a mix. Easy leash and you want have the clogged carb problems.

Unless you are just cutting smaller branches, I’d skip the battery models.

As far as brands, hard to beat Stihl and Echo chainsaws. I have one of each (18” Stihl and 10” pole Echo model) and an older Husqvarna. I think they are worth their price.

Last edited:
If you’re dead set on an electric saw, I would stick to one brand or battery platform if you own any other tools. So I would get a saw with whatever battery platform you currently have.

I have the Milwaukee saw since I already was invested in the m18 line. You can save a few dollars by buying the tool only option…but with holiday promos alot of times you can get a free battery. That’s how they get ya! Lol. When I bought my saw I got a free 8ah battery in addition to the 12ah that came with it.

I use a saw infrequently but so far the one I have has been great for what I needed it for.
6044616F-CC5B-415E-B3E7-213DCFCFCE56.jpeg

I switched to electric last year. Got tired of the gas ones. I have both the Ryobi and Milwaukee battery platforms. I know a few people that have the 18 volt fuel chainsaw and swear by them. I didn't want to spend the money on that. So after researching I bought this one.
PA290004.JPG

PA290007.JPG
PA290006.JPG

Scotts electric chainsaw. Good quality bar and chain. Cuts every bit as good as the big box chain saws I've owned. I'm not comparing this to the big boys in the least. But I'm very pleased with it. Cuts through limbs like butter. And cut up a few 12"diameter maple limbs with no problem. This has a 16"bar. And a plus. A auto chain luber.

If you’re dead set on an electric saw, I would stick to one brand or battery platform if you own any other tools. So I would get a saw with whatever battery platform you currently have.

I have the Milwaukee saw since I already was invested in the m18 line. You can save a few dollars by buying the tool only option…but with holiday promos alot of times you can get a free battery. That’s how they get ya! Lol. When I bought my saw I got a free 8ah battery in addition to the 12ah that came with it.

I use a saw infrequently but so far the one I have has been great for what I needed it for.
View attachment 514857

I have a gas saw, but I own a few Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. The 1/2" drive impact is a monster, so I'd bet the saw gets down to business also. Still.... gas is still my preferred route. I use treated gas in all my small engine stuff.. weed whacker, saw, leaf blower and generator. I pull the generator out every 6 months and run it... never has failed to start.

Also, my buddy just sent me this. Gas Treament Experiment

Last edited:
I have 2 gas Stihl chainsaws. But for most cleanup of branches and anything under 5 in diameter I use my 18v Ridgid reciprocating saw with a 12 in diablo wood blade. I can get 30-60 min cutting with a 4 AH battery.

I have the Milwaukee 18 volt fuel hackzall. And do the same thing. That little sucker is a eating machine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky