Butterball Turkey Breast Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Must be that time of year: Costco is offering the Butterball Turkey Breast Roast averaging 4.5 to 5 lbs of meat.  You know, the solid football shaped object.  Time to start stocking up (aka building up my hoarding of these babies)  because they don't offer it year round. 

My questions relate to the processing and smoking.  Bearing in mind the 140* within 4 hours, I should be able to hit that temp if I smoke at abourt 250*, right?  Remember, these are solid hunks of meat, not a hollow cavity with meat hanging around it on a bone structure. 

My basic plan is: 

Meat weight is 4.75 lbs, frozen, reweigh when thawed out for more accurate weight. 

Inject using the RonP method of "Lottsa Yoshida's".  As much as it hold.  Dust with Turkey Two Step Rub.  Wrap in Saran Wrap, tightly.  Rest in fridge overnight. 

Next day, fire off the smoker, load the AMNS with Cherry Dust.  Bring chamber temp up to about 250*.

After meat surface has been exposed to a minimum of 140* for 30 minutes, insert meat probe into CENTER of meat.

About every 45 minutes, brush outer skin with melted butter blended with Turkey Two Step Rub.

Once internal temp reaches 160* minimum, crank up chamber temp to 275 - 300* to crisp up outer skin.  Not concerned with the netting these things have because they're usually cooked in ovens at 350 or better.

Sound like a viable plan?  I guess my only real concern is getting the internal temp above 140* within 4 hours, without having to use a chamber temp so high that it crisps up the skin layer too soon.

Yes, I have the recipe for Turkey Two Step Rub (aka Turkey Leg Two Step Rub).  I use it on almost all my poultry attempts.  It's a great rub for most anything fowl.  (Sorry, couldn't pass that one up).

Upon rereading this post for spelling errors, I noticed that this site has ruined my thinking process.  Now I think in recipe steps............  Anyway, here it is, looking for any errors in thinking.  I think it's pretty solid, now I just have to get the camera battery charging and review the QVue submission wiki.

Let me know how it goes Dave. I am planning to do a couple of these soon for my wifes game night. If I get done before you I will post and PM you let you know. Your plan sounds good to try.

Good luck,

Rick

Must be that time of year: Costco is offering the Butterball Turkey Breast Roast averaging 4.5 to 5 lbs of meat.  You know, the solid football shaped object.  Time to start stocking up (aka building up my hoarding of these babies)  because they don't offer it year round. 

My questions relate to the processing and smoking.  Bearing in mind the 140* within 4 hours, I should be able to hit that temp if I smoke at abourt 250*, right?  Remember, these are solid hunks of meat, not a hollow cavity with meat hanging around it on a bone structure. 

My basic plan is: 

Meat weight is 4.75 lbs, frozen, reweigh when thawed out for more accurate weight. 

Inject using the RonP method of "Lottsa Yoshida's".  As much as it hold.  Dust with Turkey Two Step Rub.  Wrap in Saran Wrap, tightly.  Rest in fridge overnight. 

Next day, fire off the smoker, load the AMNS with Cherry Dust.  Bring chamber temp up to about 250*.

After meat surface has been exposed to a minimum of 140* for 30 minutes, insert meat probe into CENTER of meat.

About every 45 minutes, brush outer skin with melted butter blended with Turkey Two Step Rub.

Once internal temp reaches 160* minimum, crank up chamber temp to 275 - 300* to crisp up outer skin.  Not concerned with the netting these things have because they're usually cooked in ovens at 350 or better.

Sound like a viable plan?  I guess my only real concern is getting the internal temp above 140* within 4 hours, without having to use a chamber temp so high that it crisps up the skin layer too soon.

Yes, I have the recipe for Turkey Two Step Rub (aka Turkey Leg Two Step Rub).  I use it on almost all my poultry attempts.  It's a great rub for most anything fowl.  (Sorry, couldn't pass that one up).

Upon rereading this post for spelling errors, I noticed that this site has ruined my thinking process.  Now I think in recipe steps............  Anyway, here it is, looking for any errors in thinking.  I think it's pretty solid, now I just have to get the camera battery charging and review the QVue submission wiki.
Looks like it ought to be good !

I see one what i consider flaw in the process.
 In one step you are going to inject and then you state that you are waiting till it's been exsposed to 140 deg. for 30 min.to insert probe.

The way i understand it is when you stick the injection needle in it . It now becomes a  0 - 140 internal in <4 hours. The reason for waiting for the 30 min /140 degree is because of possible contamination being moved into the meat by the probe. when you inject you do the same thing. No need to wait on the probe unless you just want to as the skin has allready been pierced???

Also rub a lil olive oil to hold the rub. Apply rub then wrap in plastic wrap b4 you inject.

The wrap keeps what injection that leaks out on the bird.

When you unwrap to smoke hit it w/ more rub.

I mixed up butter and garlic for my injection and rubbed the outside with olive oil and a mix of salt, pepper and garlic.

Started at 225 and then had to move it up to 250 cuz it wasn't climbing as fast as I wanted it to.  Used Maple for smoke.

Todd

I would brine and smoke. Dont put a prob in until hour 3-4 and at the point only the outer 1/2" has to be at 140 is I am remembering what BBally taught us.

Well, that's interesting, this post was originally posted over a month and a half ago.  Needless to say, the turkey was smoked and came out just fine.  I've gotten into the habit of using either EVOO or mustard as a base for my rubs, when appropriate.  I'll make notes of what has been said here and will incorporate them into the next turkey smoke, which should be before November.

sorry Dave, I have always been a bit behind the times.  But it looks like I start a crowd here for you.  I hate seeing a lonely post with no replies.

Glad it all worked out. 

rick

Well, that's interesting, this post was originally posted over a month and a half ago.  Needless to say, the turkey was smoked and came out just fine.  I've gotten into the habit of using either EVOO or mustard as a base for my rubs, when appropriate.  I'll make notes of what has been said here and will incorporate them into the next turkey smoke, which should be before November.

Hey Dave----Are you sure this actually happened? 
icon_rolleyes.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky