Butchered Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RVACowboy

Original poster
Jul 27, 2020
Blame it on CoVID but we had to switch to a new processor last minute for our most recent cow and they cut up the brisket into roughly 3 lb roasts. (I'm not sure who would ever want this, but it makes me think it' not that uncommon?) I have searched a good amount without finding much on how to work with these. Realistically the size will be good for my family of 3 but prep and cook time/temp/method is a mystery. Should I sous vide for 24-48 hours and then smoke couple hours to get a nice bark, slice and take it as it comes or does someone have experience with this size cut and ideas on how to make lemonades with these lemons? TIA.

if you cure at all i might butcher them further and make some overnight pastrami/corned beef, but more burnt-end-esque chunks

The processor should have known better and should of had a cut sheet for you to fill out, and if they had poor cut sheet, you can always fill out another one. Bottom line .... transmitting your instructions insures you get exactly what you like. These CUT SHEETS have the minimum information needed, there are more complete ones online.

Back to your questions, a 3# is very small, it shrinks during cooking and can dry out easily. Braising is an option, cooking mostly in a foil pan or foil wrap, or a slow cooker are options. I would consider corning them, either for corned beef or pastrami. Or, coarse grind them with some chuck which will make great meat for chili, tacos, lasagna and the like.

The wife and I just watched an Amazon Prime video called "Handcrafted".
One of the chapters is a butcher cutting a half cow into all the different and various cuts of meat.
Most of them we had never heard of and if memory serves, the brisket was not the normal cut I am used to
The butcher's knife skills were stunning.

3#’ers are workable. Smoke a little then finish in a braise or under a foil tent. They work out fine. Whole packer is best, but cook what you have.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky