Butcher first?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtdavies3

Original poster
Nov 4, 2022
Aldi has turkeys at pre-inflation prices. If you were going to smoke a turkey to fill the freezer with turkey meat would you butcher before brining and smoking? It seems to me I eliminate the difficulty of keeping breast moist while cooking thighs to temp if I can take them out when each piece is done.

Thanks,
John

Reactions: JLeonard
Aldi has turkeys at pre-inflation prices. If you were going to smoke a turkey to fill the freezer with turkey meat would you butcher before brining and smoking? It seems to me I eliminate the difficulty of keeping breast moist while cooking thighs to temp if I can take them out when each piece is done.

Thanks,
John
Hi there and welcome!

I think cutting up your turkey is smart because it will be easier to both brine and smoke when it is in pieces.

I do whole turkeys each year and brining an 18-22 pound turkey just takes up so much space... everywhere.
When I part out turkeys like you are doing life is so much easier.

Also you may want to try adding some cure#1 to your brine (measure properly) and you will get those state fair/Disney smoked drums and thighs as well as even more amazing breast and wing meat :)

I now cure all my turkeys when I brine them :)

This is an 8 lb. roasting chicken . This is how I prep them for multiple meals . Leg quarters were cooked together then split after .
Wings kept whole , breast was boned and rolled .
1667578418105.jpeg

Had a similar dilemma a couple years back. I butcher and used differt parts for differnt things:
Breasts for coldcuts
Legs for smoking
Lots through the grinder (sausages, burgers, etc)
Bones for stock
Scraps for dogs.

Did post about it:

Let us know what you come up with

Had a similar dilemma a couple years back. I butcher and used differt parts for differnt things:
Breasts for coldcuts
Legs for smoking
Lots through the grinder (sausages, burgers, etc)
Bones for stock
Scraps for dogs.

Did post about it:

Let us know what you come up with
That post is inspiring. I was thinking my turkey would be for turkey salad, creamed turkey on biscuits/waffles, turkey pot pie, and soups. But you gave me more ideas.

I used to buy stock. Imagine that.

All good ideas! But will be honest...was thrown for a loop by the title! Pictured a turkey running around inside the smoker!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky