Building your own racks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thehog

Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Bismarck, ND
I am going to build my own smoker out of a fridge and was thinking of building my own racks out of expanded metal.  I was wondering if I need to coat the bare metal or if I smoke it a couple times to season it and would that be a good way to coat in.  How about BBQ paint? 

I was able to find some SS material for my rack but others say to season similar to cast iron. Use some oil, cook it and repeat. From my experience in the past, just oil the racks after use and they won't rust between use.

Just don't use galvanized metal and I would not paint them either.  Should form a coating of their own if you rub them with cooking oil and then do a dry run smoke to season them (like a cast iron frying pan would).

Flax oil will give them a very hard, slick coating.... I use it when seasoning cast iron ware....  coat and cook at 400....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky