Building a 8x8 Block Smokehouse. What do you suggest for the roof?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You're going to need to provide as many details as possible about your build plans, materials, setup, etc so people can properly advise you.

Tell us what you know and don't know and then we can go from there :-)

I would insulate the roof and line it with plywood so condensate does not drip on any of the food you are smoking... Be sure to angle the interior panels toward the exterior walls.... Have the exhaust ports spaced around the perimeter of the walls... Forced air furnace, floor vents work well so they can be adjusted.... Vents in roof area have tendency to cool and form condensate that drips on the food.... Been there, done that...
FLOOR VENTS.jpg

It's going to be a block building 8x8x8. One entry metal door. Fire box will be a older Smoker that I have 20 inch pipe fire box. Mainly it be used for sausage but I'd like to be able to do butts and briskets.

What type of insulation? You are saying that I need to line the interior of the blocks with plywood also?

Just insulate the roof to stop condensate from dripping... Fiberglass, no paper, for the roof, behind the plywood...

Thanks. I do a lot of smoking and have always have been interested in different styles of Pits. We make at least 250 lbs. of Deer Jalapeno and Cheese Summer Sausage a year. It's very good. We have people beg to buy it but we don't sell it. You have to be a very good friend to get any of it so I'm trying to make it easier.

Welcome to SMF from NW Georgia. You have come to a happy place!
Post some pics of your plans and progress as you go along. Lots of folks here with lots of knowledge they are willing to share.

Weedeater

Thanks I'll do that. I hope to start next week or the next. We have a Facebook page DILLIGAF Cooking Team. We do competitions and charities fundraisers. Some of you might know what DILLIGAF stands for.

what do you mean by hot smoking? I jave build mine, it's 3 x 3 x 7 feet and end up with fire department making me to install sprinkler system even dough temperature inside never goes above 20 deg C (60F)...I dont use open fire, smoke generator only ..

I just wanted to be able to reach 250 degrees if possible. Mostly it will just be 175 degrees tops for sausage. When we do almost anything it's a big volume of meat. Rather if we are trying something new or cooking for a party.

I just wanted to be able to reach 250 degrees if possible. Mostly it will just be 175 degrees tops for sausage. When we do almost anything it's a big volume of meat. Rather if we are trying something new or cooking for a party.
Honestly, if it's 8 by 8 feet in size, I dont see how you will be able to build that temp without burning the roof down.... it's a lot of the heat, lot of space to heat up.... lots of time to cool down interior to be able to get sausages...

Last edited:
Well I'm not a 100% I can accomplish this with a wood roof. I can go with metal or concrete. Just looking for information.

Scrap the concrete block and build it out of steel.... Insulate it well... you'll be golden...
I'd use 10-12 gauge hot rolled sheet.... my buddy built a commercial smoker out of steel.... worked perfect... 8 X 16... meat access from the outside... fire in the center with exterior access.... His wife ran it 24-7....

I'd use hardi board for the ceiling
Thanks. I do a lot of smoking and have always have been interested in different styles of Pits. We make at least 250 lbs. of Deer Jalapeno and Cheese Summer Sausage a year. It's very good. We have people beg to buy it but we don't sell it. You have to be a very good friend to get any of it so I'm trying to make it easier.
Cinder blocks will be a huge heat sink. It will take considerable amount of heat and time to get it up to temperature. But, once hot, it will moderate the smokehouse temperature nicely...
If you can get the cement with expanded shale as the aggregate, the air in the shale will act as a superb insulator. use this inside the cinder block walls.....also, less mass, faster to heat up....

I built a powder coating oven that was 4' x 6' x 6'. I used 2" thick walls and rock mineral wool insulation. Held temps well to 500 Deg F.. all steel construction 16 G steel interior walls with 24G sheet metal covering it.

I built a powder coating oven that was 4' x 6' x 6'. I used 2" thick walls and rock mineral wool insulation. Held temps well to 500 Deg F.. all steel construction 16 G steel interior walls with 24G sheet metal covering it.
That sounds like information I can use. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky