Bud's BBQ Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bud's bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Ada, MI
Cholestral. Obesity. Clean living. Improved life and health. All important issues of our times yet issues that we rarely see addressed on Smoking Meat Forums. We are all so focused on da meat that we ignore common healthy eating rules like fruits, veggies and ruffage.......yes, ruffage nee SALADS. Hence, I open this thread with the question: What is the best and easiest way to incorporate health eating into our BBQ fests?

(Me thinks I may have an answer) but want to hear from you all!

bud

Oh, but Brennan, you are from Oxnard. Surely you must appreciate the health factor. At the gathering in Clinton, I simply tried to add a little variety and healthy inputs and what do I get? Nothing but unadulterated criticism from some scalliwags.

bud

You got criticized for having variety? But variety is the spice of life. I have an idea for a great tasting and healthy recepie...lemme go grab it real fast. Maybe all you needa do is take what's familiar and sneak it into said healthy dish.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Chile-Coconut Tomato Salad

Pork Tenderloin:
2 pork tenderloins, 1 1/2 to 2-pounds total
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lime, juiced

Chile-Coconut Sauce:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, chopped into small pieces
1 fresh red jalapeno, cut into rounds
1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon fish sauce (recommended: Nam pla)
Stems from 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
Chile-Coconut Tomato Salad, recipe follows

Put the pork on a platter and sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil and lime juice and turn to coat the pork with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the refrigerator.

For the Chile-Coconut Sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chile and cook to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, and sugar and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and season with fish sauce, and salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature. Add cilantro stems and puree using an immersion blender or blender.
Preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. Blot some oil onto a thick square of paper towel and then carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a non-stick surface. Put the pork on the grill and cook, turning to brown all sides, until crusty on the outside and almost cooked through but still slightly pink in the center, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the grill and let rest for a few minutes.
To serve, slice the pork and add it to the bowl with the tomato salad. Pour over the chile-coconut sauce and toss it all together.

Chile-Coconut Tomato Salad:
1 1/2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 pounds fresh heirloom tomatoes, cut into big chunks (variety of colors purple, yellow, bright red)
1/2 small red onion, slivered
1 fresh red jalapeno, thinly sliced
Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
Handful fresh mint leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 scallions, trimmed and chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Spread the coconut out in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake, shaking every now and then for even cooking, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. In a big bowl, toss together the tomatoes, red onion, chile, cilantro, mint, and salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil or with some remaining Chile-Coconut Sauce and fold in the toasted coconut and scallions.

Hope this helps. I got it off of foodnetwork.com...i guess I should post a link http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._36825,00.html

Enjoy

Oh yeah, well keep the recepie, maybe you could improve it the way you improved your ribs.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

To my way of thinkin' the answer lies in the presentation.

For a sammich include lettuce, tomato and onion, etc and less meat.

Serve sammiches on whole grain breads

Offer cole slaw instead of fries.

Salads should include items from the crucifer family; broccoli, cauliflour, cabbage and so on.

Offer pickles, olives and relishes on the side.

Vinegar is our friend!

Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in all things requiring oil

The whole idea is to encourage a "culture of awarenes" in all things pertaining to our food. If only good stuff is offered then only good stuff will be eaten!

No, my God no, but there apparently were millitants on the ground snapping inappropriate pictures that the
icon_evil.gif
ones took.

Beleagured Bud

You have some great suggestions. We try to incorporate them all of the time.

Folks, just a caveat here: I started this thread 'tongue in cheek' in response to the good natured "ribbing" I was getting for an incident that happened at Gathering dubbed: 'The bbq rib salad'

OK!

Dark Chocolate covered ants for desert! Dark chocolate is high in flavinoids and good for the heart and general health!

The exoskeleton of the ant consists of a substance called chitin. I can only imagine that it can contribute to joint strength in older humans. Like me!

Cheers!

A bit of sour grass for tartness? Sweet clover for contast? Fiddle heads for a side?

Nothin' wrong with that!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

No Biggie Bud! At least it wasn't quick sand!

Ahhh! Fiddleheads!

A bit of my back acreage is wet and pristine. The fiddleheads produced there are super! How blessed I am with my little piece of Vermont!

When folks were poor and lived off the land and depended on dandelion greens, turnip greens and all manner of local plants for many food and medicinal purposes they were healthier and stronger, more even tempered and happier.

Time to get back to that regimen of good food habits and kick the chemical crap!

Fat is good in small amounts and there are all sorts of evils associated with the consumption of various meats.

For me I will enjoy all the various meats I like, both domestic and wild, and I will continue to temper that diet with ample amounts of green veggies.

Cheers!

Bud:

You may have started this tongue in cheek but it is still a very good point. If we all want to be around to Q as long as we can, we have to include the "healthy alternatives". Today when i made my ABT's I left out the bacon (oh the sacriledge) and instead put some smoked turkey breast inside. Very tasty.

You know, we are all gonna die of something, if I eat only what is "considered" to be heathy, what do I get? 5 more years of this human life? Or, I can eat BBQ meat, includeing chicken skin, bacon, spare ribs, rum and coke, etc, and I go home to God, HAPPY! I , for one, am going home happy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky