buckboard test fry w/Qview *more Qview added*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atcnick

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Longview, Texas
Im test frying a slice of the butt I just took out of the brine.  Is this how its suppose to look like?   Its about 2 1/2 lbs, I injected and brined for 4 1/2 days.

1ef408cb_photo.jpg

Ok...i just tasted it......DAAAAAMMMMMNNN....its good!!!! 
icon_razz.gif
.    I'm smoking it tomorrow morning.

That pink color is what your looking for.  If it wasn't cured it would just turn brown like a normal piece of meat.  What internal temp you smoking to?  I do mine to 160 so that it can be eaten at any time cold or hot.

Chalee

Havent quite decided yet.  I read in another thread I started that smoking to a lower internal temperature, about 130-140, you will get a better product if you decide to slice and fry for breakfast.  So I think I may end up doing that.  I've got another two in the fridge curing but one is dry cure and the other is brining but I didnt inject so I may wait a few extra days for those two.

I'm going to use hickory wood.  I'm thinking about starting out smoking at around 125F then slowly raising it 175-200, what do you guys think?  Is there a better way?

Looks great, maybe you could give a complete brine recipe so we can review it for you. I can say don't hot smoke till 175* it will be
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

its a recipe I got from Pops on here.  gallon of water, cup of brown sugar, cup of white sugar, cup of kosher salt, tablespoon cure#1

atcnick,

Try to keep you temps under 160* or it's gonna be dry, like Meat said.

I like my BBB cold smoked or smoked to an internal of 120*.  CB & Ham are very nice for slicing for sammies, and it only makes sense to smoke up to 160*, but BBB has some connective tissue and fat running thru it, that does not break down at 160*.  When you bite into it, it's not like eating CB or Ham, kind of a texture thing.  Also, if you run the internal temps up too much, you will render out some of the fat from the meat.  This is why I "Cold Smoke" BBB.

Since you have enough slabs, try Cold Smoking, Smoking Up To 120* Internal and even Smoking Up To 160* if you want.  It's all about personal preference, and this would make for a GREAT post of your results!!

Take lots of pics!!

Keep Us Posted

Todd

Sorry I didn't see the fry test pics. Yes that is what it should look like.

What Todd said on temps---Start out low & work your way up to 160˚ at the most.

Remove anywhere from 100˚ to 140˚, but actually don't go by internal temps----Go by "nice dark reddish brown color".

So far I have not done it yet, but I want to try one taken to 160˚/165˚ internal, so I can eat it cold or just warm it up a little before eating.

Bear

It's been in the smoker for almost 2 hours and there seems to be very little color change on the meat. Internal temp is at 93f. How thick should the smoke be? Cause at this point I'm just adding a log every half hour or so and the smoke is very thin almost not even visible. Like you would expect from a regular BBQ cook. Temps are at about 175f. It spiked at one point to 250 for a moment.

Try to avoid those spikes over 180˚.

The color will get there. It takes longer than 2 hours.

The first hour should be with no smoke, unless you already had pellicle on the surface, and pretty dry.

Then after about 3, 4, or 5 hours the color will start, getting more color after that.

I think I always have mine in for between 7 hours & 11 hours.

If you get the smoker over 180˚ or more for too long, you'll render too much fat out.

It would still be tasty, but might get too chewy.

My opinion,

Bear

You guys ever rinse the buckboard in cold water after smoking? I'm getting some ash into the smoke chamber and I can see it's sticking to the meat. Advice?

Slow your roll my friend!!!

2 hours of smoke is not enough.  Smoke it at lower temps for about 4 hours and then raise the temps.  You need about 6 hours of smoke on the bacon.  Also, the size of your smoker is a little big, so you may need more time smoking.

If you are getting ash flying thru, close down the draft a little.

My bacon gets color at about 5 hours.  This is how I can tell it's getting close.

Bluish in color is good, white is bad!  You don't need a "Cloud", only a "Fog" of smoke in your smoker

How about pics of the smoke?

TJ

Out of the smoker at 5 hours, 20 minutes.  Internal temp 120F.  In the fridge to cool it off then I will slice.  I managed to get the ash off easily with a dry paper towel.  Here are some pics:

c7d27a08_Picture002.jpg
bfa5e60f_Picture008.jpg
cdb6c136_Picture014.jpg
10da1405_Picture021.jpg
a170c52b_Picture021.jpg
ed33c63d_Picture024.jpg
6deeff9e_Picture025.jpg
e60bd038_Picture028.jpg

I just stuck the whole thing in the fridge on the cutting board, uncovered.   I assume that's not going to be a problem.   I'll slice a little bit and fry it up tonight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky