Buckboard Bacon and Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep! I bumped it to 200f. I think I severely underestimated the thermal load. <And every piece of meat is different!>

I've verified the thermal probes as well so I know it's right. I guess I just am getting a bit hangry smelling it.. LOL

You need a bigger spread between the Smoker Temp & your target IT.
Like 225° to get the BBB to 145°.

Then after you pull the BBB out, jack it up to 250° or 260° to get the pulled Ham to 200°-205° IT.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Normally I get it done running at 180f...

It also occured to me, since one tray of pork was in the downstairs fridge, it might have partially froze.

I'll just keep bumping it over time. I only run to 145f minimum because some people in this house think they can just microwave the bacon for under 30 seconds and eat it. <Blech!>

Normally I get it done running at 180f...

It also occured to me, since one tray of pork was in the downstairs fridge, it might have partially froze.

I'll just keep bumping it over time. I only run to 145f minimum because some people in this house think they can just microwave the bacon for under 30 seconds and eat it. <Blech!>

That's good for the BBB, but you'll want the Pulled Ham to go to at least 200° IT, because you'll be pulling it, just like uncured Pulled Pork. So 250° or 260° will get you there easier.

Bear

Hmmm, I see there's interest in Pulled Ham lately.

This Step by Step shows how to make both Smoked Pulled Ham & Buckboard Bacon out of the same Pork Butt.

Bear

I was cruising the forums a few days back and came across this. The pulled butt ham is the part I'm after, but as long as I'm at it some more of the BBB won't hurt. I just threw the pieces in the cure maybe a half hour ago. Busy day didn't take any pics.... I didn't do as well deboning this butt and the top half ended up a pound heavier than the bottom from my not so stellar knife work.

Let you know how it turns out much later next week. Weather permitiing I'll probably smoke it up next Friday.

I was cruising the forums a few days back and came across this. The pulled butt ham is the part I'm after, but as long as I'm at it some more of the BBB won't hurt. I just threw the pieces in the cure maybe a half hour ago. Busy day didn't take any pics.... I didn't do as well deboning this butt and the top half ended up a pound heavier than the bottom from my not so stellar knife work.

Let you know how it turns out much later next week. Weather permitiing I'll probably smoke it up next Friday.

Yes---Let me know!!!
And don't feel bad, I could not cut one up today, like I did this one.
I'd have to get My Son to do it, or I'd end up all Bloody (Bear Blood).

Bear

Reactions: mr_whipple
So... I never did update this. I ended up tossing that batch as it smelled like crap when I opened the bags. That said, I decided to thaw a butt from the freezer to make pulled pork, but the weather kept me from that so I'm doing this again. Only change is I'm going dry brine this one. I always do a wet, but gotta try it some time so here we go.
I went .25% #1, 1.5% brown sugar and 2% salt. The two halves were pretty close in size 4 lbs 2 oz and 3 lbs 12 oz. I'll hit it with fresh cracked pepper before the smoke. I think I have the ammo can mod worked out so we're gonna try the lower temp smoking profile. Threw the pieces in the bags Tuesday with target date of smoking either Friday or Saturday after turkey day.
20211118_063831.jpg
Thought I took a few more pics, but the only one I found is this.

So... I never did update this. I ended up tossing that batch as it smelled like crap when I opened the bags. That said, I decided to thaw a butt from the freezer to make pulled pork, but the weather kept me from that so I'm doing this again. Only change is I'm going dry brine this one. I always do a wet, but gotta try it some time so here we go.
I went .25% #1, 1.5% brown sugar and 2% salt. The two halves were pretty close in size 4 lbs 2 oz and 3 lbs 12 oz. I'll hit it with fresh cracked pepper before the smoke. I think I have the ammo can mod worked out so we're gonna try the lower temp smoking profile. Threw the pieces in the bags Tuesday with target date of smoking either Friday or Saturday after turkey day.
View attachment 516656
Thought I took a few more pics, but the only one I found is this.

I can't help you with those percentages, as I only use Tender Quick for the curing part.
Everything else should be the same, but the curing mix is completely separate.

Bear

Ya... I don't have any tender quick so standard #1 ratios were used. We'll see how this goes. I usually add black pepper up front, but we're trying something new.

Ok, been a while and I never did post the results oy my go at this. So here are the latest results from last week. Been busy busy busy with no time to post pics. Boned and dry cured the butt, 1.5% salt, .25% cure #1 and 1.5 % brown sugar(i think I'm going to start playing with lower % sugars in my bacons). It sat in the cure for 13 days, into the pellet pooper on "low smoke" which is 160 for about 2 hours, then "hi smoke" which is 220.

20220226_095339_resized.jpg

Pulled at IT of 140

20220226_152713_resized.jpg

The top half went into a pyrex dish with the pineapple slices and the juice from the can. Foiled and into the oven for a few more hours at 250 until it was 200ish and tender.

20220226_153730_resized.jpg

Pulled a bunch for sammiches, sorry no plate shots. For those of you who haven't done a pulled ham butt but have been meaning to, get off your "butt" and do it. This was killer. Bagged and sealed the rest and into the freeze.
20220226_174356_resized.jpg

Here's a shot of a few bags of the sliced bacon from the other half.
20220304_104301_resized.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks Great to me, Mr Whipple!!
Like.
However you should have started a new thread, instead of adding to mine.
That way people could find it directly, instead of bumping into it by accident when looking at my Thread. A lot more people would get to see it that way.

Bear

However you should have started a new thread, instead of adding to mine.
That way people could find it directly, instead of bumping into it by accident when looking at my Thread. A lot more people would get to see it that way.

Bear

I thought about that, but I'm lacking in forum etiquette. I really don't know what's wrong or right in that regard.

I thought about that, but I'm lacking in forum etiquette. I really don't know what's wrong or right in that regard.

Don't worry about it---I don't mind your adding it to mine.
I just think yours would get a lot more exposure if it was alone, with it's own Title.

Bear

Bear, lookingto try this recipe next. Costco here I come.

Was wondering any difference in using a MES vs pellet grill. Still using amzn with pellet grill? Was wondering if indirect heat from Pellet grill might be too much.

Thanks in advance

Bear, lookingto try this recipe next. Costco here I come.

Was wondering any difference in using a MES vs pellet grill. Still using amzn with pellet grill? Was wondering if indirect heat from Pellet grill might be too much.

Thanks in advance

All depends on what temps you can maintain, and what finish product you want:
I like to run a low temp (90° to 120°) for a few hours to get good smoke on them.
Then for Bacon I'll just keep it there for 10-11 hrs to get best flavor & color.
For BBB and CB, I take it up later in the smoke to 225° to get the IT up to 140°-145°, so it's safe to eat without having to cook it before eating it.
Hope that helps,

Bear

Reactions: G8trwood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky