Buck board bacon advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbuck

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
central ohio
Been reading some on buck board bacon and im gonna lean heavily on this community for advice lol, i have seem people using pork loin or pork shoulders, is there a benefit to using one or the other? Wet cure or dry cure?( I have a pastrami in pops brine now that will be smoked this weekend ) is there a specific style of seasoning tjat is commonly used? Gearing up for this as soon as pastrami is done, thanks for the help!!

From what I've read BBB is from pork butt and Canadian bacon from loin, never had either but they look amazing, im guessing they get cured on basically the same method?

Reactions: BC Buck
BBB is cut from the shoulder (butt) so you get the fat layers kinda like belly bacon. Canadian style bacon comes from the loin and is very lean.
I much prefer dry brining flavor on both BBB and belly bacon.
I use 1.5% salt
.75% sugar
.25% cure #1
All as a percentage to meat weight.
I also season with granulated garlic by eyeball.

As the others said butt for bbb, I've tried both dry and pops brine, I found wet brine has more of a store bought bacon taste and dry brine has a deeper flavor, both are good. I normally just put some black pepper on it before I smoke it

Reactions: bigbuck
Pretty good advice given already! On the bbb I've tried both ways as well...dry brine and liquid...I liked both so kind of personal preference.

Ryan

Like the others said, for buckboard, you want pork shoulder (butt). See if your stores have boneless boston butt roasts trimmed out like this one.

baconbutt.jpg

These are about the perfect thickness for BBB, and I usually get them for $1.59~1.79/lb. I can usually find whole bone in butts cheaper, but then you have take the time to cut out your own slabs. It's easier to just buy the slabs, to me, and I'm still getting cheap bacon.

On the curing, I do just like SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . Perfect amount of salt for us, and they always come out the same. I like repeatable results.

Pork butt and tenderloin has been in pops brine for 14 days, headdes to smoker tomorrow, when do these need to come off smoker? Do they need to be fully cooked since they will be getting fried in skillet after slicing? Thanks

As long as you fry or cook before eating no need smoke until fully cooked, as far ad how long depends on how much smoke you esnt on them.

Reactions: bigbuck
As long as you fry or cook before eating no need smoke until fully cooked, as far ad how long depends on how much smoke you esnt on them.
Awsome thank you sir! I will be slicing and freezing then frying as needed, just cracked black pepper for seasoning ?

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky