Briskett Purchasing/Foil Wrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Seaboke is pretty much spot on. You should be able to find a 4-5 lb flat from the grocery store without a problem I would think. Just ask the butcher and you should be fine. If ypu find them already packaged, you probably won't see the fat cap as they usually put it on the bottom. You don't want a piece that is too lean. Just ask the butcher and you'll be good to go.

I do flats all the time and do them a number of ways. I prefer the pan method also and fat cap down so that I get a good bark. Here's a +/- 5 lb flat:

I marinate them in Italian dressing for 12-24 hours and then you can lather it up a bit with yellow mustard (which doesn't leave a taste) so that you can apply the rub. I use either Jeff's Rub or a Memphis Rub. The thicker it is, the better the bark especially if done fat cap down.

I smoke it at 230-250 with apple wood and take the internal to 170 before I foil it. If you want to pull it when done, then take the internal after foiling to 200-205 and let it rest. If you're slicing it, and remember to slice across the grain of the meat and not with it, you only need to take it to 185 internal.

Once done, I usually let it rest in a cooler for at least an hour. As some have said, I prefer to cook it the day before and eat it the following day.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine.

I just went to s Super Wal Mart on my lunch. They had some huge 10-11 pounders there for about $15. I have already placed my order with the supermarket, but it's good to know for next time.

A little off the briskett subject, they had some hickory chunks and chips for a pretty cheap price as well. I bought Kingsford 10# lump for about $7.99. I haven't seen Kinsford mentioned on the sites much, any experience out there with it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky