Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
Is it me or has the price gone up so much that a brisket costs more than filet mignon use to. Prices in Jersey are going crazy. Went to the butcher where it use to be 80-100 is now close to 175 and up. now I got to put it on hold to buy. This all started with closing the pipeline down and all the covid mandates we are in a world of pain and I do not see any relief soon anyone know where to get brisket at a reasonable price

Prices are up all over the place but brisket has really gone up......

Costco Brisket here 2 years ago was 2.49/lb for Prime, last weeks price was 8.99/lb for Choice.....NOPE

Now consider that sitting next to it (the brisket) last week was a whole NY roast (Prime) at 10/lb .......sorry brisket its NY...... Crap chuck was 7.99/lb....

It's not just you. Beef prices have gone way up and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
I've become a bit cynical at my age but I think the grocery industry is taking advantage of things to raise prices and blame it on covid.
I can be wrong....

Is it me or has the price gone up so much that a brisket costs more than filet mignon use to. Prices in Jersey are going crazy. Went to the butcher where it use to be 80-100 is now close to 175 and up. now I got to put it on hold to buy. This all started with closing the pipeline down and all the covid mandates we are in a world of pain and I do not see any relief soon anyone know where to get brisket at a reasonable price
I think location plays a big roll, but here in the west the games continue to play. At my local Kroger, brisket packets are 8.99lb Down the street two blocks at Walmart, packers are 4.50lb so there you go in small town USA. It’s all over the map and has been this whole year. Up there in the north east I’m sure you will need to drive to more rural places to see price drops and even then it’s anyones guess how much.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I just picked up a prime rib bone in for 7.99lb across the isle rib steaks were 15.99lb. Some games being played for sure.

Its actually down 20 cents a pound by me in SF Bay Area.

imageService

imageService

View Larger Image 1

USDA Prime Commodity Beef Brisket, 14 lb avg wt

Item 22578
Delivered Price
5.09$
per pound

I think location plays a big roll
Yes, you are absolutely correct on that.
Its actually down 20 cents a pound by me in SF Bay Area.
Here, in San Francisco east bay we have Beef Ribeye roast for $5.99 & pork shoulder for .99 per pound....
On the other hand beef short ribs jumped to &12.00 from 7.00 per pound. If I remember correctly brisket was &10.00 or $11.00 per pound in my local supermarket recently.....

Same all over. Beef prices are up here in Utah. Pork seems to be reaming reasonable - up but not insane. Briskets are all well past $100 and Im not going there. I have one in the freezer I picked up a couple months ago for $3.99/lb. sadly that seems like deal today.

these days - if its not on sale, its not coming home.

Sad thing is the cattle producers aren't getting these windfall prices.
Is it me or has the price gone up so much that a brisket costs more than filet mignon use to.
I use to catch filet on sale for under $10/#
You haven't priced filet mignon lately.
these days - if its not on sale, its not coming home.
Yep and it won't be brisket in the near future.
Smokers are 2,000 miles north.
Picked up prime strip loin last week for a decent price.

There is a rhyme and reason for all the high beef prices. We have allowed somewhere around 80% of all beef production in the U.S. to be controlled by four companies. It's just like OPEC putting the screws to us except we have allowed it to happen to ourselves. Covid has only made it worse.

Is it me or has the price gone up so much that a brisket costs more than filet mignon use to.

You might be right. If you take into account the amount of brisket trim, which is considerable, and the trim from a beef tenderloin, which is only a hefty handfull, brisket might be more per pound.

One of the regular hardships that ranchers have to deal with is the money, feed and labor they invest for 12 to 15 months from the time they raise a steer, to the time it's ready for market. Add some of the current obstacles and it makes their business plan a lot harder.

Processing is a bottleneck too. You could have 5,000 steers in a finishing lot ready to process but if you have to wait a week, it might cost you $20,000 a day.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Same down here. One grocer has choice brisket on sale for 4.99 lb.
Bought a prime from Kroger end of 2019 for 1.99 lb.
Bone in standing rib roast (choice)
is @ 7.99 lb.
A savings of $9 per lb.
Pork hasn't changed alot if your patient buy on sale.

Reactions: MJB05615
There is a rhyme and reason for all the high beef prices. We have allowed somewhere around 80% of all beef production in the U.S. to be controlled by four companies. It's just like OPEC putting the screws to us except we have allowed it to happen to ourselves. Covid has only made it worse.
True,,,,,, but I can’t buy a barrel of oil locally and refine it myself, I’m powerless that way. However, I can buy a live on hoof animal from local producers and butcher it myself, to the tune of a huge savings. That I can control. Always be resourceful.

There are 4 major meat packaging companies in the US. This past Spring they got together and colluded to raise their prices anywhere from 50 to 100%. Restaurants are struggling already and can't afford to raise their prices. Add in the extra cost for trucking because of gas and diesel up 40% from a year ago.

Suppliers fume over low prices per animal and limited processing capacity, while consumers are angry at final product cost and availability, because the big corporations in between are busy raking in record profits for shareholders. The big processors and (only slightly less) the distribution companies get to blame "supply chain issues" and "labor shortage" even as they get to (legally!) bribe their way out of any real penalties or restrictions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky