Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sksmoke2019

Original poster
May 25, 2020
Smoked a 3lb brisket flat at 250 in a charbroil propane smoker non-insulated with a .8lb chunk from the point and it took 6.5 for the flat to finish and 5-5.5 hours for that little chunk of point. I did have brats and hot dogs in there to, but I wouldn’t think that would have anything to do with it. Also smoked a 3lb corn brisket before that took close to the same time. Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?

The size of the brisket does not change the amount of time it takes to break down the tough components in brisket, so that's less than a 20lb'er would take to get tender but right on time otherwise.
250 is very close to low and slow, you might consider raising temps to 325/350 to shorten cook times.
Lots of big time cooks run hot and fast with briskets.

I once had a 3.5 lb brisket that took 15 hrs. A lesson learned for me...

The size of the brisket does not change the amount of time it takes to break down the tough components in brisket, so that's less than a 20lb'er would take to get tender but right on time otherwise.
250 is very close to low and slow, you might consider raising temps to 325/350 to shorten cook times.
Lots of big time cooks run hot and fast with briskets.
Really? It took almost 4hrs to get about 160 to wrap and the corn beef 3lb I wrapped at 145 after 3.5 hours. I was going by people saying 1.25 hours per pound so that’s why I was getting upset thinking I’m doing something wrong, just didn’t know what.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky