Brisket Twins with a side of Pig Candy (Q-View of course...)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
G'Morning Y'all. Time for another Que Adventure :emoji_thumbsup: This time with Twins!

1248b213-8688-40af-b4c9-3ed191fe1d56_text.gif

Found out Monday we were having a work lunch BBQ for our group on Wednesday. No one volunteered for Brisket... Why not?! Off to Costco! Was really looking forward to this as a test. I've never done comps or been on a real timeline before. Decided It would be fun to see how I could manage time and expectations.

Cook Details:

Date:4/16-4/17 Overnight cook 17:00 to 09:00
Meat: Costco Prime Packer Twins & Full Pork Belly
Price: $3.29/lb Pork belly $22 ish iirc
Initial Weight: 10.7 lbs each ish
Trim Weight: around 9-9.5 lbs each
Rub: Wooster Sauce Base, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, PitFaced Spicy
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: B&B Post Oak
Style: Fat Cap Down with Point over Heat Source
Temp Brisket: 180°F (3 Hours) 215°F (3 Hours) 250°F (7 Hours)
Temp PBBEs: 250°F (4-4.5 Hours)
Spritz or Spray: hourly until IT was 140°F (just water)
Cook Time Brisket: 11 Hours
Rest Time Brisket: 3 Hours
Cook Time PBBEs: 4-4.5 Hours

The Twins (plus a lil 7.25 lb packer for later... Love the sub 8 lbers)

full

Rubbed and ready to rest for the next day

full

Away we go

full

3 Hours in - Spritzed and Probed (New InkBird IBT-4xs)

full

Temps:

full

full

5 Hours in

full

Temps

full

full

Twin #1 Finished (Around 203°F in the Flat, Probed tender)

full

Twin #2 (Around 205°F probed tender)

full

Time to rest

full

Twin #1 (Minus the Chef's share...)

full

Twin #2

full

Packaged up tightly with some reserved rendering juice. I didn't want to pre-slice but was unsure of how the shindig was gonna go...

full

Served!

full

PBBEs (tossed in oil, seasoned and on a wire rack to rest before they meet the twins

full

The meeting

full

Progress report at 2.5 Hours ish

full

Glazed and ready! (details Below)

full

End Reults

full

Pics trailed off at end due to a one man show rushing to be ready...

Gratitude:

Thanks to @bvbull200 for the rub! Love the profile and flavors! Thanks to @Inkbirdbbq for the heads up on the recent sale of the thermo. Having the App was great to sneak some naps in with confidence! Temps were spot on! And Thanks to all of SMF for putting up with these long posts :emoji_smile:

Conclusion:

I learned a lot during this round. First off... I don't like to wrap if I don't have to. The pellet rig is gentle enough on smoke it doesn't get overpowered so I like to let my food ride nekkid. I didn't have butcher paper on hand and chickened out at 04:30 and decided to wrap. The barq wasn't fully set yet so that is why it looks a little mushy up there. Packed with flavor, just not ideal.

I really didn't want to pre-slice as well. Trying to maintain moist slices is a short lived game. I packed it all in the foil pan tight and drizzled some foil renderings back over all the meat to aid in moisture.

For the chopped: The points on these twins were real thin and slices weren't feasible, so I got the cleaver out and mad some outstanding chopped brisket!

For the PBBEs: Straight smoke at 250°F til they were where I liked em. I made a glaze of Brown Sugar, Butter, Honey, and Tiger Sauce
  • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Stick Kerrygold butter
  • 1/4 Cup Honey
  • 1/3 Bottle Tiger Sauce
  • Heated to combine
Probably could've gone with less brown sugar. maybe 1/2 to 2/3 cup. Once glaze was ready, I tossed the pork pieces in it, and boxed em up. I kept it pretty light. Didn't want to overpower them. Glaze recipe was about 33% too much excess for a full belly.

Other than my critique of a failed barq, the slices stayed fairly moist. Not great, but not bad at all for almost 2 hours in a pan. One honest person said that for being sliced that long, he was impressed with the retained moisture, however slight. Little dry, but said he liked it still. :emoji_punch:

Lessons Learned: Make sure the Barq is fully set prior to wrapping if I do. Time management, pretty close but I chickened out in the end. Would I have been fine? Possibly. But I'd rather have a weak barq then under cooked unfinished brisket. I'm looking forward to doing it again and was requested by everyone there that I will now be in charge of Brisket and Pig Candy going forward. Pork Belly was the star of the show.

Biggest Compliment: My wife said she actually liked it! She is not a big brisket person. She is not afraid to tell me about it :emoji_sweat_smile:. So getting her stamp of approval is more than enough to call it a success!

Thanks for coming along!

Zach

TL;DR

These are't the twins I was hoping for! :emoji_upside_down:

Great job on those twins and PBBEs. Judging by the empty pans everyone agreed with your wife.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Looks like they were very eatable none left is a good sign. Looks great in my book.

Warren

Thanks Warren. clean pans is always a good sign. There was leftover Turkey and ribs too so I feel good :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks great, I'm salivating.
Like!

Where's the Pig Candy?

Thanks Chile! Pig Candy = Sweet glazed pork belly burnt ends. Those are gone too...

On your small packers, do you find that the end of the flat is too thin to get anything good out of them?

Depending on thickness. These were fairly thick. I usually cut the corner off to identify the grain and hopefully it's the thin corner. But if they are thin, I just snack on those first few pieces myself as I carve. Little dry sometimes but lots of barq and flavor still:emoji_thumbsup:

Nicely done! I will give that glaze a shot, looks good with the tiger sauce.

Thanks! Would definitely cut back on brown sugar as mentioned. And that glaze made a lot. Enough for the full belly and then some. This was just my first go at it this way and wanted to take notes. The tiger sauce balances the sweetness for sure. Plus the spicy rub.:emoji_ok_hand:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky