Brisket trimmings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Electric88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Hello all -

When trimming briskets, I know the meat trimmings can be used for sausage and/or burger grinds. However, I'm still unclear as to whether all off the trimmings can be used for this? I'm thinking more specifically of the hard fat and deckle. I've seen references around the forums but haven't been able to find a solid answer. Some have said that it won't render down properly for sausage, so I'm wondering if it also would be unwise to use in burger grinds for the same reason.

Just thinking ahead for when I convince my wife to let me pull the trigger on a 22.5" WSM. I love my MES30, but I want to start chasing the smoke ring (I know, doesn't change the flavor). Thanks!

I render most of the fat trimming into tallow and use it for frying and soap making.

I have saved a bunch of mine and worked it into my venison burger with no issues, have not used it in sausage yet. Ground meat and fat separate first through a medium plate then mixed by hand and ran back through the same plate after rechilling the grinder and meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky