Brisket - to inject or not to inject, that is the question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I usually inject as well, but I use French onion soup, that I strain the onions out of then put the onions on top of the brisket. As said above beef broth works well too. Then there are some guys that don’t trim, don’t inject & just use S&P as a rub. Use the search feature & type in Brisket & a bunch of threads will come up.
Al

I usually inject as well, but I use French onion soup, that I strain the onions out of then put the onions on top of the brisket. As said above beef broth works well too. Then there are some guys that don’t trim, don’t inject & just use S&P as a rub. Use the search feature & type in Brisket & a bunch of threads will come up.
Al
I LOVE the French onion soup idea. I'm gonna rob that one and call it my own :).

I use Tony C's roasted garlic for an injection , and coarse salt and black pepper for the rub .

I'm adding a little ground coffee to my salt/pepper rub
A little cocoa powder in addition to the coffee is good too. Helps give that depth of flavor and slight bitterness like the coffee does that I think really goes great with beef. Especially fatty beef.

Kinda on the same lines of the coffee rub post, injecting isn't some guarantee of good brisket. Nailing the time to pull it is the key. That is an art and will take time to learn. That said, I also inject and think that the use of STPP is a little added insurance. Generally speaking, brisket is better to slightly overcook than under. Probing for tenderness is essential.

Reactions: Daba's BBQ
I generally don't inject them, and wrap at the stall in the typical method with butcher paper. Just salt and pepper. But lately I've been experimenting with significantly increasing the humidity in my smoker- especially when doing things such as briskets. Now that has made a real big difference in the tenderness and "juiciness" retained. Beef stock goes in the pan with the brisket raised up off it on a rack. That smoked beef stock that catches the drippings Jus is then served along side or made into gravy. Heavenly!

Reactions: kilo charlie
First-time brisket smoker and wondering if I need to inject it with anything? If so, suggestions?

Thanks,

Daba's BBQ

Like I mentioned is one of your other threads ... keep it simple. Forget all the "extra" and just cook a brisket.
Taste the meat .. not all the other stuff.

Once you've done that, then you can play with the flavors. Otherwise you have no idea how the coffee or the cocoa or the injection is affecting the taste.

As I just mentioned in your other post today, keep a notebook of your cooks and make additions or subtractions based on your tastes.

Reactions: schlotz
My preference is SPOG and let it roll. My wife on the other hand just loves it when I inject with Au Jus.

Trimmed,
No injection.
SPG (smoked salt, fresh ground peppercorns and granulated garlic)then wrapped in plastic the night prior.
Before it goes on a hearty coating of what ever I'm in the mood for.
One of the best parts is the puddle of meat juice in the bottom of the foil wrap when its done.
It gets frozen and used for a variety of uses, i have pork and poultry juices too.

kilo charlie kilo charlie is spot on with his advise. One should establish a base smoking process with a good repeatable method before they venture into other smoking avenues for brisket, etc. Things like how your smoker reacts to weather conditions, what are it's true grate temps are depending on setup, there many variables to experience and learn how to handle. IMO, adding flavor profiles up front provides no base to judge from. Keep it SIMPLE and see first if you can make a tender brisket with just salt & pepper. Following time & temp does not guarantee a tender result. Meat is just another variable we all have to contend with. It can't tell time, and is only done when it wants to be. BTW, each brisket smoke can be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilo charlie
I usually inject as well, but I use French onion soup, that I strain the onions out of then put the onions on top of the brisket.
Al

I LOVE the French onion soup idea. I'm gonna rob that one and call it my own :).

I stole this idea last weekend for a 6.5 lb NY roast. Injected with liquid of two cans of Campbells French Onion soup, and onions on top. Absolutely delicious! That might be my go-to injection liquid for beef from now on.

Daba isn't gonna respond, he got put on naughty list and banned from the site.

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: 912smoker
Looks like he came through in sept of this year, wish he had posted how the brisket cook turned out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky