Brisket time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
Greetings,
I've been itching to try another brisket so I stopped by the local frequently mentioned warehouse store on my way home from work. As I was sorting through the 10-12 choice whole briskets, 2 guys rustled in and started reaching in front grabbing as if it was the last beef on the planet.
Rude! Ugh.
Okay I'm over that.
So I picked the one in the pic, I'm new, sorry.
This is my 3rd attempt and am anxious. Batting 50% up till now.
Trimming the fat?? What?

This time I will be using an MB800 gravity with Jealous Devil lump and hickory/pecan chunks loaded up the middle.
Oh, and first run with the new Inkbird thermometer.
I hope to run at 225-250 putting it on at 6:30am ish. And the rest is to be determined. I have pink butcher paper to wrap should I go that route.
Seasoning, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
I have beef tallow, if it will help.

Okay, my apologies for dragging this out but my 2 beers have me on a roll. Hehe.

The plan is to put this on real early Sunday morning for dinner the same day.

Thanks for your all of your patience and advice.

Attachments

• 20230526_164305.jpg
    20230526_164305.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230526_152456.jpg
    20230526_152456.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 49
Still being kinda new, should I season the brisket the night before, tonight? Going with SPGO.
Either way will work, but I usually season while I'm waiting on the smoker temp to get up and the smoke to clear up. I cook on an offset stick burner, so it's a little different getting it ready than a pellet grill or gravity feed grill...

Im take, i have been trimming less and less as i do briskets. Basically just remove the big vane of fat between the point and flat. Remove any thin peices on the flat, square it up and thats it. Pretty much 10 min at most. I keep the flat trimmings for burgers. As stated, spog while the smoker is heating.

Corey

Well, I messed this one up. Turned out to be pulled brisket. ??
I will share more, (cooking details and pics), later when I get a minute. I just wanted to follow up and let you all know I'm still here. Real tasty but slicing wasn't happening.
Sorry for the delay.

Attachments

• 20230528_160809.jpg
    20230528_160809.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: normanaj
I will share more, (cooking details and pics), later when I get a minute. I just wanted to follow up and let you all know I'm still here. Real tasty but slicing wasn't happening.
Sorry for the delay.
I don’t know I’d say you messed it up. Was that the point? I love the point to shred.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
And tacos.
Yup, these were thrown together in a pinch for a work snack.
Extra,sharp white cheddar and habenero salsa and the other store bought hot ? I must say the flavor the beef too on is pretty darn good.

Attachments

• 20230529_102054.jpg
    20230529_102054.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230530_111124.jpg
    20230530_111124.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14
Sorry for the delay.
So in this cook, how did you determine the pull time? Was it IT? Time? What was you completion regs?

Reactions: hooked on smoke
So in this cook, how did you determine the pull time? Was it IT? Time? What was you completion regs?
Once the point reach 195° I probed it at the flat and the point. Point was like butter, but flat was still quite firm. When the flat was probing easier the point was at 210° and the flat was 206°
I'll fill in the details when I tet a minute. Been busy just wanted to let everyone I'm still here. I'll try getting to it by this weekend.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky