Brisket Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

horizonsmkr

Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
New member here, been smoking for a short time with what I consider great success. Have learned a ton from the site, all the info is great.

I made a 16# brisket this past weekend for a family party. Party was on Sunday and due to time, I cooked the brisket on Friday. Pulled at IT of around 200 degrees. After resting, I separated the point and flat. Flat got vacuum sealed and put in the fridge until Sunday, then reheated in a foil pan in the oven with some beef broth. Point got turned into burnt ends.

My question is regarding IT. Most seem to test/ pull between 195 and 205 degrees. Is the temperature you are looking for the coolest point in the flat? My brisket turned out great but the end was too tender to slice (see third pic), it just sort of fell apart. Is that normal on a large brisket, or should I have pulled earlier and had the larger center slices less tender?  Do you think that had something to do with cooking ahead and reheating?

Overall everyone thought it was great, but I'm always looking for ways to improve. Appreciate any tips/ advise.

Thanks.

The point is more forgiving then the flat. There's more fat to keep it moist. That said my flats are usually probe tender before the point. I partially seperate the two before smoking. When the point is done I seperate a put the flat in the cooler wrapped in towels to rest while I cube up the point for burnt ends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky