Brisket temp & time delima

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smell smoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
South Carolina
Watched a video over the weekend of a Pitmaster we've all seen on TV showing that you can do a Brisket in your backyard without spending half a night and all day on. He smoked one that was 13 pounds at 400. after 3 hours wrapped in butcher paper and a hour later checked it and it was 209 IT. When he cut into it the tenderness was great and juicy. Is this possible or was he trying to pull something? I typically go around 275 and gives me about a hour a pound. Thanks

Reactions: JC in GB
I like warmer and faster - like 275. 400 seems too hot for the way I like them, Using a pellet grill here and at 400 the smoke levels are kinda low too.

Reactions: smell smoke
I run a UDS and when I go super high like that, things just end up tasting like heat. Idk how else to describe it. It's from the charcoal and it's almost a mild lighter fluid sort of taste. Not so good, but ymmv.

I run a UDS and when I go super high like that, things just end up tasting like heat. Idk how else to describe it. It's from the charcoal and it's almost a mild lighter fluid sort of taste. Not so good, but ymmv.
Thinking I'll stick to what I know works.

That being said I run quite a few pork butts at 275 until it's wrapping time (if I'm wrapping) and then toss them in the oven @ 350 with no problems.

So when I say ymmv, i mean it. Different units will have different issues. My UDS may have a lingering/stale air issue that I've yet to diagnose and repair at higher temps. Best thing you can do is give it a shot one time and see what happens with your particular smoker.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky