Brisket Questions, thanks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

michael0506

Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Hello all,

I went to HEB today and was going to buy a Prime but the weren't marked so the guy came back and marked them at $4.19 lb! I said they are supposed to be $2.99lb he said no it's $4.19!

Well I saw 3 12-14 lb packers for $1.96 lb and they looked outstanding good flex, thick flat end, small deckle and not that fat all around!

Then I decided to go to another HEB tonight and saw they had a 19 lb Prime great marbling thick flat and the price was $2.99 lb, what gives! The only thing is the sell by date was 1/30 and being I was going to smoke Saturday night through Sunday, I figured the date would be to old!

Questions

1. Is there a huge difference in all around taste and quality of packer/select vs Prime!

2. can I buy that Prime one sell by 1/30 and fridge it till Saturday 2/2 and still be safe or just get a later sell by date!

3. I know most people get the $1.96 select/packer for value, if I cook low and slow at say 250
for say 1.5 hrs P-pound how close can they get a prime cook!

4. What are you guys buying, Prime or Select!

Sorry is I sound dumb in question!

I assume they are cryopaks, right? The sell by date does not mean the date you need to cook it by. Every store has their own policy regarding how many days past pack date they mark as the sell date. Many stores don't even put sell by on the label. In any event, you'll be fine.
I buy either choice or prime and will pass on select. But I have cooked select briskets and they've come out great. The best results have been with prime from costco.

I assume they are cryopaks, right? The sell by date does not mean the date you need to cook it by. Every store has their own policy regarding how many days past pack date they mark as the sell date. Many stores don't even put sell by on the label. In any event, you'll be fine.
I buy either choice or prime and will pass on select. But I have cooked select briskets and they've come out great. The best results have been with prime from costco.

Thanks,

I'll cook the 3 selects and the big prime Saturday and see, thanks again! Also can I use the whole brisket flat and point to make burnt ends!

I'll cook the 3 selects and the big prime Saturday and see, thanks again! Also can I use the whole brisket flat and point to make burnt ends!

No, just use the point for burnt ends - the flat is too lean.

Thanks for replies!

I talked to a HEB meat manager today and I am happy being he said that HEB now only sells Choice, Prime and above! He said they no longer sell the Select cut which is below the Choice cut! So now I'm glad I bought the 3 now called Choice briskets yesterday! But will get a Prime as well!

Hello all,

I went to HEB today and was going to buy a Prime but the weren't marked so the guy came back and marked them at $4.19 lb! I said they are supposed to be $2.99lb he said no it's $4.19!

Well I saw 3 12-14 lb packers for $1.96 lb and they looked outstanding good flex, thick flat end, small deckle and not that fat all around!

Then I decided to go to another HEB tonight and saw they had a 19 lb Prime great marbling thick flat and the price was $2.99 lb, what gives! The only thing is the sell by date was 1/30 and being I was going to smoke Saturday night through Sunday, I figured the date would be to old!

Questions

1. Is there a huge difference in all around taste and quality of packer/select vs Prime!

2. can I buy that Prime one sell by 1/30 and fridge it till Saturday 2/2 and still be safe or just get a later sell by date!

3. I know most people get the $1.96 select/packer for value, if I cook low and slow at say 250
for say 1.5 hrs P-pound how close can they get a prime cook!

4. What are you guys buying, Prime or Select!

Sorry is I sound dumb in question!

My wife’s quote “It’s a best before date not a rotten after date”. We buy lots of meat close to it’s best before date at a fraction of the sticker price and freeze, we give it the snlff test before cooking. Have only tossed out a package of pork in 10 years.

Reactions: michael0506
My wife’s quote “It’s a best before date not a rotten after date”. We buy lots of meat close to it’s best before date at a fraction of the sticker price and freeze, we give it the snlff test before cooking. Have only tossed out a package of pork in 10 years.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky