Brisket question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

delearyous

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
The day after Christmas going to try a brisket. It is small. 3lb flat. I will be using my 22" weber kettle. Do I still use the 1.5 hrs per lb? Use same temp as a whole one or should I choke it back a little? Should I still smoke for 4 hrs? Thanks and Merry Christmas

The day after Christmas going to try a brisket. It is small. 3lb flat. I will be using my 22" weber kettle. Do I still use the 1.5 hrs per lb? Use same temp as a whole one or should I choke it back a little? Should I still smoke for 4 hrs? Thanks and Merry Christmas
Brisket needs to cook between 195-210 IT...you want to pull it when it is probe tender in the thickest part of the brisket. It is done when it is done. Your only cooking a 3lb brisket and sometimes that small of a brisket can be a tough cook.
Myself I like to wrap brisket around 160 - 170 with butcher paper. Then pull at what I mentioned above.
Hope that helps.

Ty..just didn't know if I needed to smoke it differently with it being so small

Welcome to the forum. 

I smoke virtually everything at 225', large or small.  The "about 1.5 hours/lb" might still apply, but that is always a big variable depending on the individual chunk of meat.  The only way to know if it is done for sure is by measuring the temp up to 195, and then feeling how tender it pokes as you get closer to 200'  Some chunks are tender at 198, some have to go to 205..

Good luck to you.

I usually smoke a small brisket like yours in a pan with some beef broth.

It keeps it from drying out.

Al

Much like Al I smoke small briskets fat side down on the grate for 1hr then put in a pan with beef cosamine for 3hrs , foil the pan and cook an additional 4hrs at about 200 to 210 then wrap in foil and towels and in the cooler for a couple hrs. Make sure to save the drippings put in a bowl in the freezer for an hour then take the fat off and reheat . Yea it is very time consuming but comes out perfect every time .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky