Brisket question for first time brisket cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freakynorm

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Mount Vernon, Washington
I got a 13# whole brisket from Costco. I plan on smoking it during the next few days. I already researched rubs, how to trim it, etc. I see a lot of people separate it before cooking, some after. I think I will do it after it's cooked. My question is what temp should I separate the two pieces at? I plan on doing burnt ends with the point and slicing not pulling the flat. I wasn't planning on foiling either since I am not under any time constraints.

I tried the search feature but didn't quite find the answer, though it could be in there but it's a needle in a haystack kinda thing with the forums sometimes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What I usually do is cook it until the flat is done. This can be anywhere in the 180-195 degree range, depending on the brisket, so I use a toothpick to test the tenderness. If the toothpick slides in and out like butter, then the flat is done and will be nice and tender. The flat can then be wrapped and rested while you make the burnt ends. 

Good luck!

Did my first full packer recently and here is what happened.

Got a 12lber and based on past experiences with just doing flats, I know longer use a regular rub Just salt and pepper 50/50.  That bark becomes this nice salty bit of awesomeness, by itself it is salty but when that flat is sliced it is just awesome.

Based on lots of questions asked I smoked it until about 165 and separated the point and the flat which was really easy at that point.  I put the flat back in the smoker after adding some more S&P in the area the point was connected and took her to 195.  I rested it in a cooler for two hours then sliced her into the best sandwiches I ever had and my father in-law ruined by putting ketchup on it.   

When the point was removed from the flat I chopped into one inch cubes, sauced it, sprinkled with rub and put it back in the smoker for another almost two hours with occasional stirring and adding of rub.  

I will always do it the same  way from now on because I can't ask for anything better in my opinion.  My guests were WOWed by the burnt ends and loved the brisket sammies also.

Total smoke time was about 21 hours at 235-245 in my MES using the AMZNPS with a fully tray of Pitmasters choice.

Reactions: so ms smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky