Brisket Hot and Fast or Low and Slow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just my $0.02

Hot-n-Fast cook at 275°-300°
For whole Packer briskets, not recommended for Flats.
Treat just like a normal cook, wrap or not, whatever you normally do.

Extreme Hot-n-Fast 375°-400°
Works best for larger briskets (15lbs +), not so good for smaller.
Suggest wrapping (foil or paper) after getting a good bark.

The few that Iv'e done hot and fast came out OK. I think that the low and slow method produces a little bit juicier brisket. Just my (limited) experience with hot and fast.

Full packers are hard to come by around here - so I go with L-n-S with flats around 250*, but I also like to spend time outside with the smoker and good friends/family.

Chris

Hot & fast for me is around 270-280 & they come out great. Never tried the extreme hot & fast that Chili does, but it seems to work for him.
Al

I'm a low and slow guy. But you have to try the different ways and see what works best for you and how you like the finish product.

Warren

depends on your rig if you can do this. I run the pellet at 180 for 4 hours the 275 till done. works great every time.

Thanks guys, this is a small brisket. Just gonna go around 250 or so and wrap in butcher paper maybe at 170, not sure yet.

2.5 hours in. It's stalling at 163 degrees. Smoker is at 245 so I'm going to let it ride without wrapping. I injected with beef broth, worcestershire sauce and minced garlic. I went to spritz and the brisket was already super moist on top, presuming due to the injection, never injected a brisket before.

Well I guess I hit the plateau and now internal temp has dropped to 156 degrees smoker temp steady at 248 degrees, perfectly normal I suppose as the meat sweats. Just never had one do this that I can remember, but never injected one before either if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks chilerelleno, I'll take your advice and crank her up!
Update: Smoker 275, brisket 165 in about 20 minutes or so.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky