Brisket hold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mitchparker6

Original poster
Oct 11, 2021
Have a brisket to cook for a barbecue a couple weekends from now, and it is supposed to start at 11 or 12 in the morning. I was wondering if I had it done by 2 or 3 a.m. if I could rest it in a cooler that has been warmed by boiling water, wrap the brisket in towels, and fill all the dead space with blankets? Or the other option would be resting it in the oven at 175 for that duration, but I worry about it being too warm for the rest. What have other people done in this situation?

9-10 hours in a cooler might be pushing it a bit however, place a thermometer probe in it and monitor the IT. If it starts to approach 150º then place in the oven. With the probe still in, monitor the IT. You can always turn the oven off for a bit then back on. JMTC

Have a brisket to cook for a barbecue a couple weekends from now, and it is supposed to start at 11 or 12 in the morning. I was wondering if I had it done by 2 or 3 a.m. if I could rest it in a cooler that has been warmed by boiling water, wrap the brisket in towels, and fill all the dead space with blankets? Or the other option would be resting it in the oven at 175 for that duration, but I worry about it being too warm for the rest. What have other people done in this situation?
Be careful with the oven method - unless you can maintain closer to 150 that could be a recipe to go overcook it. If you crack the door a smidge or do something to keep that temp in the oven down that’s what I’d do. If you’re taking it to completely done be sure to rest in an hour or so to get it to stop cooking before you oven it. Other option is to take the brisket to almost done and then finish with long hold at 175. Here in lies the art piece of brisket. Just my .02 good luck

That is what I'm worried about with the oven is over cooking it. I'll probably put my fireboard temp probe in the oven to see what the temperature reads.

I mentioned it on my previous brisket post but I am a huge fan of the oven rest. My oven's lowest setting is 170 but a while back I did a test run with probes and it actually fluctuated between 150-160 the entire time. Definitely test your oven first. I've held them for up to 12 hours and turned out some of my best briskets doing this. Every oven and brisket is different so you really have to play with what you got and see what works for you

What oven do you have? Most newer ovens have warming settings so you could set 150°. My Wolf oven is about a 2008 model. It has a dehydrate mode I can use and hold 150°.

We have a LG with warming setting. The warming setting went up to 190-160 and bounced between the 2. So I cracked the door and had it bouncing between 135-150ish. Do you guys think that would work?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky