Brisket help please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rokqueen

Original poster
Apr 8, 2023
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller.
I have a packer in my master built electric smoker set to 230 deg.
I had to cut it in half to fit. I'm trying Jeff's Wooster recipe he posted the other day, so each half is in an aluminum pan swimming in lovely Worcester beef juice. It was on the smaller side, about 9 pounds total.
So far so good except the IT on the flat shot up quickly and after 6 hours is currently at 205. It's still tough.
The point is at a nice 167 and getting tender. It seems like the point has hit the expected stall but the flat just shot right through it.
Neither of them are wrapped -- I may wrap the point when it gets to 180, but I have time.
The reply from Tallbm on another brisket advice post was very helpful, but I'm starting to panic.
This is not my first brisket but it's the first time I had a runaway temp.
I'm going to keep probing it but I hate to open the smoker that often when my point is doing so well.
The smoker itself is keeping a constant temp around 225, and there's plenty of water in the pan.
It smells amazing but I don't know what to do about this flat. Should I just let it ride and keep checking for tenderness?
Thanks in advance!

That point is basically a tender beefy cloud and the flat is tender enough for me at 212. Pulled the point at 190. Dumped the spent juice, wrapped them in paper and they’re currently resting in a towel cooler nest.
They smell AMAZING.
Thank you everybody.

Attachments

• 533D0565-184B-44C3-86F0-B3B5A9A09E02.jpeg
    533D0565-184B-44C3-86F0-B3B5A9A09E02.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 19
That point is basically a tender beefy cloud and the flat is tender enough for me at 212. Pulled the point at 190. Dumped the spent juice, wrapped them in paper and they’re currently resting in a towel cooler nest.
They smell AMAZING.
Thank you everybody.
I should note that I did wrap them in foil which got me through the point stall and brought the flat temp down a little. My money says it will finish tenderizing during resting.
Happy Easter everybody! Here in Texas we’re having a brisket and crawfish feast.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Looks good.

I was caught up in what IT I achieved a couple years ago. My briskets were not good. I was over thinking. Really, what you will read around here is every brisket is different. They all are tender and ready at different temps. What difference does it make if it is 203° or 213°? When it probes tender, it is ready.

I should note that I did wrap them in foil which got me through the point stall and brought the flat temp down a little. My money says it will finish tenderizing during resting.
Happy Easter everybody! Here in Texas we’re having a brisket and crawfish feast.
Hi there and welcome!

I hope they came out well.
Temp probes are very hard to get correct placement on a brisket and the flat is always going to be the stubborn painful muscle.

It's tender when it's tender. Just keep an eye on it and check for that tenderness and know that a flat alone may need wrapping.

This brisket smoke and many more will teach you something almost every time. Thank goodness we are in TX the land of briskets and can get a lot more practice at cheaper prices than others.

FYI, Tom Thumb has $1.67/lb choice grade briskets digital coupon limit 1 through Tuesday night. So you can pick up another one and practice with it next week if you like :D

Let us know how it turned out and what you learned :)

Reactions: Rokqueen
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky