Brisket for a crowd

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
I have been asked to cook for a work lunch on Friday and I picked up a 14lb prime packer last night. I've smoked a handful of briskets with mixed results. I probably did my best brisket last weekend and I will probably try to replicate that.

I have a kamado that I will be smoking this brisket on. Last weekend I separated the point from the flat, put the flat in a pan, and put the point on the grate above the flat. I never wrapped either and just let the panned flat catch all of the fat from the point. It probably took about 8 hours at around 260 before I pulled them off. The point was ridiculously good. The flat was good, but the bottom seemed burned to the pan it was in.

I plan on pretty much doing the same for the upcoming cook. However this is a larger brisket so I don't think the flat will fit in a pan. I am guessing I will just put a drip pan under the grate directly on the heat deflector. I am thinking I will put the meat on at about 11pm on Thursday night for an 1130 lunch the next day.

Anyone see any obvious flaws or have any advice you would like to send my way?

Since your cooking for other people, I would stick to what you know. For the flat when it reaches 190* start probing it with something like a toothpick or a skewer to find out when it's tender.

Chris

I like the idea of going with what you know since you are cooking for other people, no need to get to crazy.

As for the flat sticking to the pan, if you cook fat side down the fat should be the portion that burns up and sticks to the pan to help protect more of the meat. Also the thinnest portion of the flat is likely going to burn up on you anyhow. I wouldn't hesitate to cut that section off throw it in the bottom of the pan and lay the rest of the flat on top of it. If that thin section was going to burn up anyhow it might as well sacrifice itself to protect good flat meat while allowing you flat to fit int he pan :)

Best of luck!

3441C51C-927D-45EB-A385-A0293F370E27.jpeg
I’ve done brisket the exact way you describe on my BGE. It works well. I use either water or juice in the pan so the fat doesn’t burn. Where I lived in northern Illinois it was hard to get full packers, so I almost always used flats. I’m still learning when to judge a brisket done......a couple I’ve done have essentially been dry AND undercooked, but a couple have been, to use your phrase, ridiculously good. The above pic is from one of those ‘good’ cooks.

I may do one this weekend in my new pellet smoker, and I’m going to take the above advice and start probing at 190.

You could also use a small rack inside the pan to keep it off the bottom but still collect the drippings

If the brisket is to big...stick an empty beer can under your brisket. It will shorten it up so it fits on the grate.
Probe tender thickest part of the flat. When you pull the brisket let it rest open on counter top for 10 minutes. To stop the cooking. Wrap and rest in a cooler with towels or whatever you rest in.
Good Luck!

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I am about to start this process now. If I can figure out how to upload pictures I will show my progress.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky