Brisket Flat- On Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
I have only smoked 2 Brisket flats and decided to try another with a different method.
1- 7.5 lb flat already butcher trimmed.
2- Seasoned with Traeger Coffee rub, 1st layer and Meat Church Gospel as top layer. Seasoned as I started the grill, about 45 minutes of rest time.
3- Set Point at 225 degrees, but Thermoworks at grill level read 250 to 260 for the entire cook.
4- I monitored SP, Grill Temp and meat temp every hour. Flat on at 0800.
5- Meat was stalled at 155 degrees at 1230.
6- I did a double wrap of pink butcher paper and back on grill at 250 +/- degrees.
7- Checked one hour later and temp was at 165. My thought is that it is still stalled.
8- I put the wrapped brisket into a large aluminum pan and tightly wrapped with 2 pieces of foil.
9- Checked 30 minutes later and brisket temp at 179, Beat the stall. I guess I did not wrap the paper tight enough.
10- At 3:30, the brisket was at 203. I removed entire pan and placed in a large cooler, wrapped in 3 large towels.
11- Pulled out at 5:45 and sliced for dinner.
12- I did not inject this flat. The 2 previously, I injected with beef broth and I wrapped in a large foil pan.
13- I liked the bark and the flavor was great. It had the right bend and a slight spring when pulled.
14- I will inject the next time. The tenderness was good, but it needed the additional moisture from the injection.
14- I think I will inject next time.
2013-12-31 23.00.00-7.jpg
2013-12-31 23.00.00-8.jpg
2013-12-31 23.00.00-9.jpg
2013-12-31 23.00.00-10.jpg

I'm a foil pan user also. Set the brisket on a small rack in the pan. So it stays out of the juice. Looks like a winner from my screen. Nice Job

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: TunaciousBBQ28
A well trimmed brisket flat is about the hardest thing to cook. You did a fine job, it just takes some practice. You may want to look at a thread I did a few years ago, it may help you with the next one.
Al

I'm a foil pan user also. Set the brisket on a small rack in the pan. So it stays out of the juice. Looks like a winner from my screen. Nice Job

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks for the comments. I pan wrapped, on a small rack on the first two I cooked. I will go back to that method. Nice to have validation.

Nice cook.
I do not use a butcher paper or foil wrap. Paper sucks up the valuable fats. Foil wrap leaks
I use a foil pan at the stall temp and tightly wrap with a foil wrap cover
I have seen video on Youtube about paper wrap and Yes, paper absorbs moisture. It did for my cook too. Back to pan wrap.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Nice job. I'm a no wrapper though.
Must of the thermometers on the smokers are not accurate. Especially after some use.

Warren
I agree with thermometer inaccuracies. I keep the probe clean, but I need to do a test and calibration. BTW. The 250 to 260 degrees I was quoting was from a Thermo Works probe at grill level. I will do the boiling water test on it to see if it is off.

A well trimmed brisket flat is about the hardest thing to cook. You did a fine job, it just takes some practice. You may want to look at a thread I did a few years ago, it may help you with the next one.
Al
Thanks for the link Al. I will take a look and make a few adjustments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky