Brisket flat issues.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

megabrisket

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
Hi all. New to the forum here, mainly because I'm having some issues smoking Brisket flats. Normally it's just me and the wife so we have the meat cut in two. Smoking the point always turns out perfect but the flat leaves something to be desired. It's always just a little tough, not much but not fall apart tender, and a little dry. I've tried fat side up and down. I smoke at 225-250 until the meat hits 160, then wrap and bring up to 203. I also spray it a few times. I also let it rest wrapped in a towel in a cooler for up to 3 hours. I open the foil and it's somewhat swimming in juices though I do add some as I've seen others do. Still when it comes time to slice, it sliced pretty easy but it's never pull apart with no effort tender and always requires sauce cause it's a tad dry. I'm thinking of moving on to injecting. I've recently found out that I should only get choice meats as some others can naturally be tougher regardless of how cooked.... I don't think I left anything out. What are your thoughts?

I always smoke my flats in a pan sitting in their own juice.

Check out my signature line "brisket & burnt ends".

Also, since this is your first post, would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself.

That way we can all give you a proper welcome.

Al

Personally I always had problem smoking flats, gave up and just smoke whole packers now.  Lots of extra meat, end up sharing it with those at work but the briskets come out better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky