Brisket Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It was on the grill grates.

I can put it back in, but not sure if that will wreck it

The problem I always had with GMG and brisket on the grill grate was the meat being too close to the fire and the meat over cooking. Often the grill side of the brisket was cooked to leather, and the flat would be dry. The tip was ok.
Moving the meat up on an elevated grate worked much better.

Have you tested the thermometer your using to check the meat temp?? There is no way the brisket can be 203 degrees if the smoker is running 185 degrees so something is off. My guess is that the thermometer your checking the internal temp of the meat is off if you have two other thermometers showing the smoker temp is 185. If that is the case then the brisket is not done and needs cooked longer.
Put some water in a pot and bring it to a boil then carefully dip the probe into the water and see what it reads and that will tell you how far off it is then you can adjust accordingly.

Have you tested the thermometer your using to check the meat temp?? There is no way the brisket can be 203 degrees if the smoker is running 185 degrees so something is off. My guess is that the thermometer your checking the internal temp of the meat is off if you have two other thermometers showing the smoker temp is 185. If that is the case then the brisket is not done and needs cooked longer.
Put some water in a pot and bring it to a boil then carefully dip the probe into the water and see what it reads and that will tell you how far off it is then you can adjust accordingly.

I used another meat thermometer to verify the GMG meat probe, and both showed the same temp. I’m thinking the GMG was hotter than it said it was, I didn’t have the oven thermometer in to verify because the last time I used it, it was bang on.

Ok well one of them is off for sure no matter how long you leave something in the smoker it will not exceed the temp the smoker is running

Ok well one of them is off for sure no matter how long you leave something in the smoker it will not exceed the temp the smoker is running

For sure. It’s impossible without chemical reactions!

I ended up putting it back on. I hate tough meat. Since it was wrapped, I put a little bit of beef broth mixed with a bit of wooster in the foil. I’ll leave it until it gets to temp, let it rest for 2 hours before slicing.

Once it gets close probe it every half hour or so forget the thermometer it will be done when the probe goes in easy like it's going into butter. I've had briskets finish at about 195 and others closer to 210

Once it gets close probe it every half hour or so forget the thermometer it will be done when the probe goes in easy like it's going into butter. I've had briskets finish at about 195 and others closer to 210

Thanks for the tip.

I really need to get the upper rack for my grill. I noticed on ribs the bottom get charred from the heat out of the heat box and grease trays.

I appreciate all the help guys

The only way I could ever get decent brisket on gmg was to smoke for about 5 hours then wrap in foil to finish. This helped a bunch. Later I went in search for another pellet machine and went with Yoder just because the fire box is offset to the far left of the grill. This allows the meat to be place well away from the fire source, and on the upper rack. Much better results for me.

Could size of the brisket be a factor?

mom on a Davy Crockett and the brisket barely fit in width wise. About 1” on each side for room.

Just took the brisket off again. Total time was 12.5hrs unwrapped, foiled and rested for 4.5hrs, then put back on the grill with beef broth with wooster for 5 more hours. Internal temp still 203.

I think I found my problem. This is a screenshot of the GMG app with my temps. The meat probe is dangling just above the smoker temp probe. 50 degree difference, and I had another thermometer verify the meat probe.

DEF7317A-03CD-4ADC-9846-A039B762C189.png

I ran out to the local dealer this afternoon and picked up another temp sensor, the elevated rack, and a cover since I didn’t have one. Hopefully changing the sensor, and having the elevated rack will solve my temp problems.

After an hour in the cooler, it came down to 170f. I unwrapped my baby and I’m letting it rest another hour before slicing and eating.

Here’s the finished product!
E6BD6900-E25E-4C2B-BF89-5B9B92A76038.jpeg

It was overdone. I expected something to be wrong with it though.
The point was still super juicy and delicious. The flat tasted very good, but fell apart while I was trying to cut it across the grain. I had to cut it with the grain. It wasn’t dry like pork gets, but it was drier, enough to eat though.
All in all the wifey gave it a 7/10 and I gave it the same.

The only way I could ever get decent brisket on gmg was to smoke for about 5 hours then wrap in foil to finish. This helped a bunch. Later I went in search for another pellet machine and went with Yoder just because the fire box is offset to the far left of the grill. This allows the meat to be place well away from the fire source, and on the upper rack. Much better results for me.

The first brisket on my GMG was suppose to be a low and slow cook, but I somehow did a perfect hot and fast. It was good. I blamed the temp issues on the insulated blanket still being on it in June. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the problem.

Last weekend I did another brisket, my solution was to smoke for 5 hours then wrap in butcher paper and put it in the oven. Loved this one.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky