Brisket Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DiabeticKripple

Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Hey guys, new here.
Wanted to try out my first brisket. I followed meat churches weekday brisket cook times and temps.

I set my GMG to 185f and let it stabilize for 3 hours before putting a 12lb brisket on. I put it on at 7pm.

When I woke up this morning I see my meat probe is telling me the brisket is at 203f. My GMG must be running hot.

I was planning on wrapping it in foil at 7am until around noon then upping the temp to finish the brisket off by 4ish.

Now that my brisket has hit temp, is it ok to back the temp down a bit to 165f, wrap and continue on as if the brisket didn’t come up to temp? I don’t want to dry it out.

I would pull it, let it rest for about 15-30 minutes then wrap tightly in foil, then wrap with towels and put into a cooler. It may not be steaming hot but it’ll still be warm and if it probed tender it’ll still be good this afternoon/evening.

Don't leave it on. If its at 203 and probing tender do what JBpilot said above. Pull it, let it rest for a few, then wrap it up in butcher paper or foil and toss it in a cooler with old towels. Should hold for several hours. If you leave it on you will overcook it and dry it out. Probably got some nice bark if it was running hot!

0c40b407-3772-4eaa-862c-b08e584fa84e-jpeg.430171

I pulled it. I think the flat is dry, point is still easy to probe. I guess I’ll find out later.

Attachments

• 0C40B407-3772-4EAA-862C-B08E584FA84E.jpeg
    0C40B407-3772-4EAA-862C-B08E584FA84E.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: Andy A and gmc2003
What makes you think the flat is dry? Just curious. It looks good on my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: smell smoke
It smells soooo goood. I have never smoked anything that long on my GMG before. Total time was 12.5hrs.

I used a simple rub.
1/4 cup fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper

What makes you think the flat is dry? Just curious. It looks good on my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

it was quite a bit harder to probe than the point, but maybe that’s just the muscle structure.
The ends were dry feeling too when I pushed a bit on them.

Looks great. Just wondering did you go by the thermometer on your smoker or do you have a remote one with probes. Most smoker units are off.

Warren

Looks great. Just wondering did you go by the thermometer on your smoker or do you have a remote one with probes. Most smoker units are off.

Warren
I used the smoker thermometer, but I use an oven thermometer as backup. They are usually very close (within 10f)

Sounds like it still may have been underdone to me.

Underdone is tougher not probe tender
Done is probes easily
Overcooked is probe tender but crumbles when sliced.

Chris

Should I put it back on with some beef stock in the foil?
I’m thinking no, since it’s already rested and come down in temp

Where was your probe placed into the brisket that you got your 203* measurement?

I had it in the thickest part, between the flat and point.
I also took another probe and poked all around it and had the same temp throughout.

One thing I noticed rewatching the meat church video, is his brisket was at 161f at noon the next day after wrapping at 7am. Mine was 160f when I went to bed last night at 10pm.

Mine has no jiggle to it like his does either. Makes me think it’s cooked to a safe temp, but not broke down enough to be tender

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky