Brisket Attempt #3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
My very first brisket was amazing. Flowing with juices, tender and like butter.

my second one was dry and tough. Very disappointing.

My third one wasn’t as good as the first one, but much better than the second.
Still it seemed like it didn’t have as much moisture as the first one and I injected it very thoroughly with beef broth. Put temp was around 260° for the duration of the smoke.

Maybe my fire was too warm? I’ve had better fire control since moving the smoker out of the driveway and onto the front porch.

I just did standard Texas style brisket (kosher salt and pepper) but I noticed my bark didn’t set up like the first one either.

But it was still good. Taste was fantastic, just mildly on the dry side and not as tender. Wondering if I took it off too soon (200° Then stuffed it in a cooler wrapped in towels for 2.5 hrs)?

9B3DCF2D-40C3-4619-BFF9-B2A10BF53BEF.jpeg
C311AE2A-68C3-4064-B42B-C2A75294D58E.jpeg

E4671AE0-77AB-46CC-A629-F20250763995.jpeg

0AEE5C15-A40A-427D-88BF-D567CDA129DD.jpeg

3A918CF8-E8E2-43EF-94DE-19C7976DE7F1.jpeg

46DE04FA-7A38-433B-B234-36B33A9CD855.jpeg
38E2F834-C473-4CBF-BDA9-22FA1C8025AF.jpeg
9AA1EA53-7ED2-496E-94AD-BACDE02AA734.jpeg
9AE5C7B1-3D65-42F8-AC11-7B489C4F0EC0.jpeg

First off, you're cooking a Flat not a full Packer.

Flats are much more challenging to get right, maybe the most challenging cut of meat to smoke there is and get right with consistency.
Not much fat in a Flat to keep it tender-n-juicy.

Full Packers are much more forgiving and easier to get right due to the extra meat and fat keeping everything tender-n-juicy.

In other words you're making it harder on yourself.
So if you got two out of three acceptable so far, I think you're doing pretty good.
Keep up the good work, your brisket looks really good.

Flats can be made somewhat easier by incorporating moist cooking methods such as braising, either by panning or wrapping.
Some also inject with marinades or beef broth.
If using broth use a low sodium style, some injectable marinades use phosphates to maintain moisture which many swear by.

But by far it is simply pulling that Flat off the fire at the optimum time, too soon dry and maybe tough, too late dry and maybe falling apart, just right maybe perfect or maybe a bit dry... Frustrating cut of meat sometimes.
Probe tender is the sweet spot, somewhere between 195° and 210°, the probe knows.

First off, you're cooking a Flat not a full Packer.

Flats are much more challenging to get right, maybe the most challenging cut of meat to smoke there is and get right with consistency.
Not much fat in a Flat to keep it tender-n-juicy.

Full Packers are much more forgiving and easier to get right due to the extra meat and fat keeping everything tender-n-juicy.

In other words you're making it harder on yourself.
So if you got two out of three acceptable so far, I think you're doing pretty good.
Keep up the good work, your brisket looks really good.

Flats can be made somewhat easier by incorporating moist cooking methods such as braising, either by panning or wrapping.
Some also inject with marinades or beef broth.
If using broth use a low sodium style, some injectable marinades use phosphates to maintain moisture which many swear by.

But by far it is simply pulling that Flat off the fire at the optimum time, too soon dry and maybe tough, too late dry and maybe falling apart, just right maybe perfect or maybe a bit dry... Frustrating cut of meat sometimes.
Probe tender is the sweet spot, somewhere between 195° and 210°, the probe knows.

my first brisket was a flat too and it was incredible. (These are the pics from that smoke).

8A3E99C7-5BBD-4D40-81F2-153CBF6D14E2.jpeg
1584E8A7-3206-443F-805F-F5DAF9FC0131.jpeg

I still have good and bad briskets sometimes with no explanation. Part of it is the meat itself. Like Chile said flats are hard to get right. Try injecting with double strength Minors beef broth. Alternatively Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket is a great commercial injection that also has phosphates to help retain moisture. Great stuff.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky