Brisket as repayment for a favor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
Been having some plumbing issues lately that my neighbor volunteered to help me fix. It turned into a nightmare as the more things we fixed, the more problems we found that were largely due to shoddy installation when the house was built. Too many 90 degree elbows, drains with uphill slope, joints with no glue and on and on! It took us one full day from 8 to midnight, then til noon the next day to get things right.
He would take no pay, so I bought an aged premium Angus brisket and smoked as a thank you. I took him and his wife over more than half of it including the point, so they invited their son and his GF over for supper. They raved about it and he said there were no leftovers!
I love living in the country where neighbors help neighbors and we look out for each other.
It finished at 6 am and i couldn't resist making myself a brisket omelet.
I started it in a stck burner for extra smoke, then about midnight I put it in a pan with brewed coffee and beef base, covered it and finished in the pellet grill so i could get some sleep. I decided on fat cap down to protect the meat as the one side had virtually no fat to protect it from drying if placed on the grate.
This had to be the best, or next to best brisket I have ever cooked! The aged beef is worth the added cost for sure!
20190712_195109.jpg
20190713_025237.jpg
20190713_094645.jpg

looks tasty, yeah I have a friend like that, helps me with a lot with mechanical stuff, vehicles, lawn tractors etc. he will never take money so I usually smoke him some ribs and kielbasi.

Reactions: radio
Awesome! Intrigued by the coffee / beef base liquid. I use coffee in my brisket rub.
I have tried coffee rubs and wasn't all that impressed. Plain 'ol salt and pepper does it for me, but I love to reserve the liquid for Au Jus and gravies. Plain drippings were not "beefy" enough, so I started adding base and water, then had the idea to add brewed coffee instead of water. Best tasting stuff ever!

I have tried coffee rubs and wasn't all that impressed. Plain 'ol salt and pepper does it for me, but I love to reserve the liquid for Au Jus and gravies. Plain drippings were not "beefy" enough, so I started adding base and water, then had the idea to add brewed coffee instead of water. Best tasting stuff ever!
I will be adding this to my smoking recipe book to try. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Nice looking brisket and a nice way to pay it back. Excellent.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky