Brisket Alternatives???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LONG

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Central Illinois
I did a quick search.
kids want me to smoke another beef brisket.
I am curious of other "less costly" cuts with similar qualities.
IMG_2180.JPG
will be smoking on an offset stick.

I mean you’d have to define “cheaper” as a chuck roast is a good alternative but technically costs more per lb. that said you can buy them in smaller sizes which brings down the cost. An on sale chuck roast should be $10-$12 for 3.5-4lbs. I made one this weekend (4 hours on the smoker and 5 in a crock pot) and the taste is identical to a brisket

Reactions: LONG
I mean you’d have to define “cheaper” as a chuck roast is a good alternative but technically costs more per lb. that said you can buy them in smaller sizes which brings down the cost. An on sale chuck roast should be $10-$12 for 3.5-4lbs. I made one this weekend (4 hours on the smoker and 5 in a crock pot) and the taste is identical to a brisket
What else was in the Crock-Pot?

I am curious of other "less costly" cuts with similar qualities.

No sure where you are, but around here, brisket is the cheapest cut there is. Occasionally I see Tri-Tip for about the same price, and there is less waste on that so it can effectively be less expensive. Those are usually cooked to about medium rare, but there are plenty of folks that smoke them like brisket.

No sure where you are, but around here, brisket is the cheapest cut there is. Occasionally I see Tri-Tip for about the same price, and there is less waste on that so it can effectively be less expensive. Those are usually cooked to about medium rare, but there are plenty of folks that smoke them like brisket.

Well, brisky and TT used to be cheap cuts back in the day.
You are correct that that a TT or two would be the better bang for the buck.
Long could always tell the kids that the TTs are mini briskets.

Check out Bearcarver’s threads on different cuts of beef. He has some excellent step by step recipes for some of the cheaper cuts like chuck and eye of round.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky