Brinkmann Box Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moonratt

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
arkansas
Hey Guys,

Im doing a butt and brisket in my cheap brinkmann box smoker today. After reading alot of the posts here and researching I decided to document my smoke. I have read about the brinkmann and how some folks have trouble holding temps in it. I also read about the stock temp gauge being way off. I own an Atkins versatemp 386 so I decided I would see how far my stock gauge is off. I fired up the Kingsford bricketts with a mixture of Royal Oak lump just getting the box hot. I put in the Atkins guage and here is the result...a blurry pic but you can see the brinkmann guage is at 300 and the Atkins is 298....I dunno but seems maybe I got the only good stock guage?

I have no problem holding it at 250 just by feeding the small pan a few lumps no and again along with some hickory chunks.Only mod I have done was drill several holes in the pan.

37292fab_IMAG0145.jpg

Any way heres a few more pix..

Butt and Rub...

aa72ad86_IMAG0147.jpg

Brisket

e1783ab3_IMAG0150.jpg

Brisket chunk rubbed and ready...

69643558_IMAG0151.jpg

My sauce on the stove...

6a6d8244_IMAG0152.jpg

Smokin em....

82e1a8a8_IMAG0155.jpg

anyway enjoy the pix....maybe ill post some after pix.

the butt was a 10hr smoke and the briskett i took off at 8hrs....the butt was perfect. the briskett could have stayed on for 10 but i was hungry! both delicious....held 250ish with all vents open. just alot of babysitting with this box. lot different from the big stick smoker i was used to. works great for the back yard on the cheap!

I find the Brinkman to be a nice little unit for the price.  But the babysitting is the problem.  Has to be checked repeatedly (around every 30 minutes) and you are constantly adding charcoal because the box is so small. When I bought my WSM 22.5 I couldn't believe the differnce in the size of the charcoal ring and how tight the unit is.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky