Brining

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Wondering if there is a rule of thumb on amount of time for brining different sizes. Say the time to brine a leg quarter to brining a whole turkey. I usually go 4 hours for small stuff & 24 hour for big stuff. Just trying to get more specific. Thanks in advance.

I think it's more dependent on what the brine is made up of. Sugar/water brine's can easily go overnight with either pieces or whole birds. Pickle juice type brine's I don't let them go past 10 to 12 hours.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I agree that the concentration of the brine, and it's ingredients are factors, as are the thickness/density of the meat. Injecting some of the brine will shorten the timeline. And a flavor brine differs from a curing brine.

For example, my corning (curing) brine that I use for corned beef or porkstrami (made from a pork butt) is a 14 day process.

I flavor brine turkeys for at least 48 hours, and also inject some of the brine so it works from the outside in, and inside out.

Chicken pieces or normal pork chops will get a 4-hour flavor brine.

When I brine non-smoked trout or salmon prior to canning... I only go about 15 minutes. My smoked salmon to be canned will get a dry brine for a few hours.

Reactions: mac114
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky