Brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rev

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Centreville, VA
Do you guys brine boston butts before putting the rub on? Just curious since I'll be doing my first pulled pork this weekend.

I don't brine my butts.

I usually just do a simple rub and run with it.

Some folks inject which I'm going to have to try.

From what I have gathered brining only has a truly noticeable positive effect on poultry and even then mostly only on the white or breast meat. Apparently it has little to no effect or benefit on any kind of red meat. Many do however report good results with marinades. Don't ask me why as it is still a mystery to me.

i have done a brined butt, and injected butt, and nothing but rub. i think the brined butt turns out the best.

simple brine of distilled water, pickling salt, molasses, and apple cider vinegar. i'll have to look for the exact measurements.

So either way it won't matter if I brine or not. Less work seems better to me then! Maybe one day I'll do two at one time, one brined, one not and compare.

8 cups distilled water
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1-1/4 cups pickling salt
3/4 cups molasses

no salt in the rub. the brine will do it for you.

Thanks for the idea!   I have thought about braining before but was unsure of the quantity of the ingredients will try it this weekend and let you know the results!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

8 cups distilled water
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1-1/4 cups pickling salt
3/4 cups molasses

no salt in the rub. the brine will do it for you.

I use a brine.  Proportions are 2 quart water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup soy sauce, 1/8 cup pickling spice and a crushed bay leaf or two.  I let it sit in that overnight in a sealed tuperware container in the frig.  Pickling spice is a mix of various dried spices.  I buy it in bulk jars from local Sysco.  It does not have any curing salts in it.

Use the same thing on my spare ribs.

For turkeys, I only add salt and brown sugar to the water.

Pretty simple brines.  I got them from a friend, tried them and liked the results -- so I've stuck with them.

Often, supermarket butts may already be "enhanced" with a salt brine solution, important to read the label.  I pull my pork and mix in a dressing containing the butts owns drippings and sometimes even BBQ sauce.  With all that extra liquid, I've noticed no difference and do not brine.  I think if you prefer no dressing or sauce that a brine or injection would be more noticeable.  :)

Edit, I went to the supermarket today and checked the label.  Said up to 8% may be enhanced. :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky