Brine, Wine, And All Is Fine!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Hello Great Cookies!!!!!!! And Happy Thursday To You!!!!!!!!

I had some wonderful local oysters on hand today and decided, (with Admiral David Farragut in mind, from an ancient yet ever impressive era), that "Damn The Torpedos, Full Steam Ahead" as far as today's rainy, cold and supposedly "dreary-ass" weather!

We bring our own sunshine in this great world, right? And so I was out grilling eggplant, drinking a Portuguese white fantastic blend, and smoking oysters!

Granted it's damn hard for me to eat any oysters other than RAW. (The same with clams). BUT, today, I did want to cook in the rain!

And so it goes...

Oysters went onto my tiny little Brinkmann gas mini "thing" (also from an ancient era, but wow have I done lots upon that thing) and on high heat for 15 minutes, and just to crack them barely open, and with some flavor, faintly, of smoke.

Pistachio shells were the "smoking chips."

I grilled sliced eggplant discs/pancakes/slices-whatever you wish to call them...

I chopped up the eggplant, and raw tomato, green pepper, and elephant garlic. Dried oregano went in, as did olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

This is a Greek "melitzanosalata" (eggplant salad) that is usually then pureed into a brown dip; but I like to do it chopped instead, for color, texture and flavor...

The largest oyster was the most succulent, and the smallest was the closest to "shrivelly," (hence me preferring them raw although all were still tasty), and so I scooped out that meat/oyster from each shell...

And stuffed some salad mixture into each shell, and then placed a smoked oyster atop each one and then added chopped chives (as I needed to use up some) and then olive oil and sea salt before sitting down...

This REALLY was beautiful!

I love RAW anything the most. (Clams, beef, sea urchin, oysters, you name it). BUT, if needing to COOK oysters, I'd do it this way and yet again!

A happy twist to this rainy and cold day!

Now on to some writing tasks!

Thanks tons for sharing in my meal!

Make your Thursday tremendous!

Cheers! - Leah

Last edited:
Hi Ed and Good Shabbos to you my friend!

Thanks tons on the oysters and salad!

I'm still thrilled with your Chef pal's sashimi (do tell the talent indeed) and so here is to fabulous food and a wonderful weekend for all!!!!

Cheers!!!! - Leah

Leah,

Well, in that case, here's one more sashimi, from the same chef... This time - tuna. Now here's the riddle - find the tuna 
icon_biggrin.gif

Ingredients (besides tuna): cucumber, daikon (white radish), green plum, tapioca pearls, jelly made of honey, horseradish and chili, aioli yuzu, yoghurt foam and green herbs vinaigrette :) 

Cheers,

Ed

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I wouldn't have figured that out, and so you are ahead with that sensory ability!

His creative style is really something!!!

Terrific and a treat to see!

Cheers! - Leah

I won't take the credit - I was "hinted" by the text in the menu... No chance I could come to that on taste only.

Here's one more for you... This is a veal rump, cooked sous vid for 12 hours, and then roasted, with crunchy quinoa, sweet potato puree and sweet potato fries. I am sure there were more ingredients, but it was that day "chef special", so it's pretty much all I remember from what the chef told me.

And this one is, well... I am sure you'll appreciate the magic! This is scallop carbonara - roasted scallops served with egg yolks linguini, lamb pancetta, smoked egg yolk, parmesan pannacotta and brioche croutons. Now you may call me a sadist 
icon_lol.gif

I believe I will be dining at "Catit" again quite soon... A very detailed reportage will follow, of course!

Ed

Hello Great Smoked Cookie Cuties and Happy Saturday to YOU!

Simple grilled calamari today, and Greek grilled eggplant salad that was wonderful as well!

"DEFESA," (Portuguese white wine), was my great match! (An easy house wine and "white blend," that appeases all guests oddly enough and so it's become my "party white," and it is affordable, and AVAILABLE, in our liquor stores). So be it.

And while I don't like the shrinking that happens, with grilled calamari, (hence smoked is better), today was a grilling day and so it goes. To smoked calamari the next time! Indeed!

Nonetheless, happy SATURDAY to all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

Very nice dish!

Leah, a small advice, if I may :)... You might want to try using a grill press on the calamari, making them "flattened" while grilling, to prevent them from shrinking.

Ed

And a Happy Saturday to you, Leah. As always, wonderful photos of a deliciously presented meal. And, of course, the associated wine. Going to be going to the shoreline docks here in CT today to see what the local fishermen have coaxed out of the sea. And it will be seafood tonite with my take on your colorful eggplant salad for my guests. And, of course, wine.

Hi Ed! That sounds great! (As not to shrink the squid)! What a good idea! Thank you!!!

And thanks Geerock too! I bet your food turned out fantastically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy wrap up of the weekend to all!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

OK now cut this out. The qview on this thread is so good I am sure it is illegal. You will tempt people to take part in this evil practice.

Kidding around aside, there is some great looking food here. Love the post, the responses and the food!

Disco

Thanks Disco! It seems so 'wrong' to cook oysters or clams to me, yet I am finding some versions that really are good!

A great Wino group here though indeed, with such fabulous contributions and shared tastes, sips, and so it goes! It's fun to see!!!

Cheers and happy wrap up of the weekend to all! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky