Brine! iPhone App

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I’ve been testing out an iPhone app called Brine! It calculates dry brines, equilibrium, and wet gradient brines. It has recipes and those 3 options for several types of meat. It even has a custom option for your own tastes.

I’m not sure if it’s on another platform but it’s worth checking out. For my basic needs it’s perfect. I’ve even got Pop’s brine dialed into it.
25E1DA88-B607-4766-BB4C-735A79522B0C.jpeg

Reactions: bauchjw
While all this technology is awesome, I'll stick to doing my own calculations, lest I forget how to. Doing it myself keeps all the numbers fresh in my mind, which will come in handy if all my electronic gizmos go south all at once. Not likely, but it could happen.

While all this technology is awesome, I'll stick to doing my own calculations, lest I forget how to. Doing it myself keeps all the numbers fresh in my mind, which will come in handy if all my electronic gizmos go south all at once. Not likely, but it could happen.
Knowing how to do things these days just isn’t important when you can push it off on an app or gadget. Jeeze, math isn’t hard.

Thank you, I’ll definitely check it out. Not that I’m against doing it long hand when I’m learning and keep it up, but I’d want to double check. I see this just like pellet smokers or any other automated gadgets people use, time and attention will be limited for at least another 12 years. Any help I can get making sure I’m correct is a blessing.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Tell that to any born after 2000. 😂😂😂
True story. Probably dates back to born around 1990. But hey, what do you do?.
I believe in paper books and memorized data. Beyond that, the apps and online stuff can be cool and convenient. I just believe that somewhere you need important information in print and mostly memorized. I am old school, but young people will learn a tough lesson some day if they don’t listen to the warning. The internet is not forever and can be heavily regulated. A book in your hand though, I wouldn’t store the deed to my property only on line. Nor the whole of my finances on line. Anything important should be a in print and in your hand.

The year was 1976 and I was in 6th grade struggling with long division. My dad was an electrical engineer and he had just purchased a Texas Instruments TI-30 calculator. I had a huge long division assignment and I used it to help me finish my homework. Mrs. Carlson immediately realized an exponential increase in my grades in math. Suspicious, during a parent-teacher conference she brought it up. My dad told her I had been using his calculator. Mrs. Carlson asked my dad if he would not mind me bringing it in to show the class. My dad, being an engineer, and a lover of new technology, saw this as a great opportunity to showcase some amazing tech as he was a slide-rule guy being one of the first in his company to transitions to the faster, more accurate calculator. He still taught me to use a slide rule and I still have his first one he bought in college.

I brought it in expecting to be showing off something amazing. Instead, Mrs. Carlson turned on me with great venom explaining to the entire class how I was a cheat and a liar. I remember her words clearly, after she explained to us all what a calculator was as no other kids in my class even knew they existed. “Calculators are a passing fad. No one will ever be able to afford these and besides, no one will want to buy them. These are tools for astronauts and NASA, not people like us.” About 10 years later Mrs. Carlson’s words replayed in my head when I bought my first solar powered scientific calculator at K-Mart.

I remember telling my wife that story when I wanted to purchase our first CD player. She said it was “a passing fad,” those exact words. I’m typing this post on my iPad even though I could just as easily dictate words to it and it would do the typing for me. As a pilot I was trained to do it all by hand, using slide rules and paper maps. I still have my first “wiz wheel” and I still know how to use it, but I’m glad I don’t. I only miss parts of the dead reckoning days but there’s no way I’d ever go back to that. I’ll take GPS over flying VOR vectors any day. I get to spend more time looking out the window enjoying the scenery. But I still bring along paper maps, you know, just in case. One major electrical failure in flight reinforced that lesson. And I still suck at long division.

I use MSExcel on my laptop. I plug the meat weight in a cell and the formulas I built into the spreadsheet do all the math for each ingredient of my brine.

I paid $130 in 1973 for a basic math and minimal science calculator before heading to university to start my eng degree. A year later paid $650 for a Texas Instrument scientific calculator with features that are free on today's phones. That was basically 2 months of income while working dorm security from midnight to 8 AM 5 nights a week and going to class during the day.

Last edited:
He still taught me to use a slide rule and I still have his first one he bought in college.
I brought it in expecting to be showing off something amazing. Instead, Mrs. Carlson turned on me with great venom explaining to the entire class how I was a cheat and a liar.

I still have my slide rule.. I won it in math class... Top 1/2 the class got to keep the rules that were handed out in class.. ~1960 or so...
The teacher called me out for mistakes I make doing a class example on the "greenboard"... My friend Monza, called him out because my answer was correct.... I had taken a path different from the text book description.. It was at this point I realized he didn't know or understand math... The look he gave me would burn down the forest...

I’m conflicted about technology. I don’t trust it, but it’s awesome as long as you keep an analog foundation. From boys scouts through my first decade in the Marines we did landnavigation and call for fire with laminated maps, protractor, and magnetic compass. The last 15 years it’s done with satellites and computers. It makes it fast and easy, gives a great advantage, but if something goes wrong with the gizmos you need to know what to do. A buddy is an F18 pilot who got into some trouble over Syria one night a few years ago, he used the North Star to navigate his way back. As a culture I think we shouldn’t ignore new tech, it’s important, but we shouldn’t loose the foundational skill either!

Mrs. Carlson turned on me with great venom explaining to the entire class how I was a cheat and a liar. I remember her words clearly,
So interesting how those moments stick with us for life. I never had problems with math, but I wrote with my left hand. My 3rd grade teacher, whose name I've thankfully forgotten, used to walk up behind me and whack the hell (literally) out of my left hand with a half-meter stick. "The left hand is evil," she'd scream. "Use your right hand!"

My Italian mom eventually noticed the bruises and started to give me a belting for fighting at school. Faced with an unearned whacking, I told her what teacher was doing. She drove me to school and laid into the teacher with screaming language that would make "Hitman's Wife" Salma Hayek blush. The teacher treated me like an angel afterwards.

Today? All that would have ended up in the courts. My mom would have been arrested, but we'd have won a huge lawsuit against the school district. Frankly, the old way solved the issue a lot faster.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
True story. Probably dates back to born around 1990. But hey, what do you do?.
I believe in paper books and memorized data. Beyond that, the apps and online stuff can be cool and convenient. I just believe that somewhere you need important information in print and mostly memorized. I am old school, but young people will learn a tough lesson some day if they don’t listen to the warning. The internet is not forever and can be heavily regulated. A book in your hand though, I wouldn’t store the deed to my property only on line. Nor the whole of my finances on line. Anything important should be a in print and in your hand.
And then an airplane crashes into your building and everything burns or is scattered to the wind. Just sayin'

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky