Brick Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doggone bbq

Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Colorado
I have been planning on doing a RF build using an old tank or some pipe but have never gotten started.  I was recently gifted with quite a few firebricks.  Anyone ever done an offset style smoker out of fire brick?  I'm not really interested in a "cold" only smoker, I want to be able to easily run 225-250degrees.,   

Sounds like aneat idea. I'd like to see this one work out for ya. Unfortunately I can't offer any input but look forward to seeing the results.

Isn't fire brick an insulator?  Does fire brick absorb heat and then slowly release it back into the cooking chamber, moderating your cooking temps or does it just reflect the heat back, never absorbing any significant quantity of heat.  One advantage of a good RF smoker is the even heat provided by the extra mass of steal. 

I can see many advantages of building the firebox of the smoker out of brick but have a question about the internal components.

I would go with heavy steel for the RF plate.  One advantage of the RF is that the plate gets hot and distributes heat evenly through the smoker.  Drippings are vaporized and produce a lot of good moisture inside the smoker.

Sorry for the rambling post, its early

Al

I've been mulling it over more and more.  Definitely need steel "trim" like doors, vents, racks, RF plate( if I go that way), damper etc.  I believe the bricks are good at absorbing and radiating heat back.  Good pizza comes out of "hot" brick ovens as do many other things cooked in high heat. 

I'm going to keep looking for a little more info, probably post up in another section here too.  I'm pretty excited about this. 

Thanks for the brain power.    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky