Breakfast Sausage for Dinner! a.k.a Dirty Rice (13 QView)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Lafayette, Indiana
So you've made yourself a whole ton of breakfast links and you're wondering: WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH THEM?!? 
icon_eek.gif
 Well, if you're like me, you eat them for dinner with an easy batch of Dirty Rice.  The pics below show me using some chopped up links, but you can do the exact same recipie with loose breakfast sausage.

The only equipment that you might want (it really helps) is a good sized nonstick electric skillet. If you have one, you can mostly walk away from this and let it do most of the work. I use mine all the time. Got it at Target for $30 and the pan itself can go right into the dishwasher. The recipie below makes a great side for a crowd, especially if you are using the rest of the kitchen for other stuff (i.e. Thanksgiving dinner)

Princess' Dirty Rice - Serves 20 as a side, 12 as a main dish

Start to finish in 65 minutes.

3 lb pork sausage links, chopped

1 medium-large onion, diced

4 stalks celery, diced

1 large green pepper, seeded and diced

4 cans low sodium beef broth (save the cans!)

4 "cans" of real medium grain white rice (no Minute rice!!) a small bag will do

a shake or two of salt

1/2 TB fresh ground black pepper (or more, if you like)

1/2 TB red pepper (or more, if you like)

1 tsp ground thyme

1/2 TB oregano

1 TB dried mustard

1 TB cumin

Serve with shredded cheese & cornbread

First up, chop your links and drop them into the electric skillet at 350.  While you are browning your links, you can do all the other chopping and measuring.

I like them good and brown.

It is okay to throw all your veggies and seasonings into one bowl as you prep them. You're going to dump them all in at the same time.

89e33e6e_2oneonionetc.jpg

Pour the seasonings and veggies in on top of the sausage.

df1f5465_3additallin.jpg

Give it a bit of a stir and let those veggies sweat for just a minute or two while you carefully open all four cans of beef broth, all the way. Add the broth to the skillet. You will be using the cans themselves to measure rice and water, so don't throw them away just yet.

23f9291f_4fourcansbroth.jpg

Measure our four cans of rice. You got REAL rice, right? No Minute Rice allowed here!!

421c78c7_5fourcansrice.jpg

Add those cans of rice in. The skillet is starting to look real full by now...

eef1035c_6lotsofrice.jpg

Add in four cans of water. If your skillet is too small to get it all in, you may have to wait for it to cook down some before adding in the last can or two. My skillet *just* barely fits all four. Give it a stir... then walk away. Go clean your kitchen. Go cook something else. Read the paper. You're not coming back for at least 30 minutes...

That's a full skillet...

5b362216_7plusfourcanswater.jpg

After thirty minutes, come back to it and take a peek. Give it a stir. It should be smelling very very good and the rice should start doing that magic absorption thing that REAL rice does.

86368ae3_8thirtymin.jpg

Go do something else for another fifteen minutes. Set the table. Kiss your spouse.

At 45 minutes, it should definately start to thicken up. You want to hang out near the skillet now, giving a stir every so often so that it doesn't stick to the bottom. You also want to get the moisture redistributed.

d37e21bc_9fortyfivemin.jpg

You can see a real change begin to occur over the next few minutes. The pic below was taken just five minutes after the one above it. Much thicker.

1fe214c8_10fiftyfivein.jpg

At fifty-five minutes, it also is a good idea to check for doneness. We know our sausage is cooked, but let's look for liquid. When cooking rice with a lid off, the best thing I have found is to stir it real good, then push and look for juice. See juice? Keep cooking.

a5c53530_11stilljuicy.jpg

Sixty minutes is just about perfect, timing wise.

Little to no juice? Cool. Give it a taste test: is the rice tender? You're done cooking.

e45b28b9_12sixtyin.jpg

Toss it into a bowl, top with cheese if you like (I have a nice dusting of white cheddar here) and enjoy!!

734a625e_13fin.jpg

Let me know if you try it and what you think?

Cheers!

-Princess

Reactions: meateater
Great post, and excellent follow through on the pics. Thanks for sharing one of my fav dishes. It's all good my friend.

Thx for the compliment, Richoso! I love that I can play with the seasonings to suit my guests: hotter for the Husband, lighter for the In-Laws. I should also mention it tastes better (to me, anyway) if I overnight it in the fridge and reheat it the next day. Mmm.

Great post, and excellent follow through on the pics. Thanks for sharing one of my fav dishes. It's all good my friend.

Princess, this dish is screaming for you to go buy a plow disc wok so you have more room - Great post and I wish you would feed me!!

I don't know how I missed all the comments, but THANK YOU for looking, guys!!

Hey Scarbelly - What the heck is a Plow Disc Wok? (and darlin' any time you show up in Indy, you lemme know... I'd feed ya!)

This is the one dish my family starts demanding around the holiday season. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super Bowl... ;)

Cheers!

-Princess

::nose wrinkle::

I LOVE chicken livers and would never hide them in Drrty Rice!! Carefully sauteed in clarified butter with carmalized onions and sherry? Mmmm... THAT'S where they are! :) LOL!

You calling my rice dirty
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky