Bratwurst recipe needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All Just grinded 7 lb of pork..Going to use 5 lbs for Italian, would like to make the other 2 lbs into Bratwurst..
Need a recipe for the brats, so I can it use on my 2 lbs...I do have Pensey's Bratwurst seasoning, wasn't too happy the last time I used it.Looking for something more like what I had in Germany.
Thanks Dan

Chef Willie VFW Brats come to mind. Those were really good!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bratwurst-dinner-feed-at-the-vets-club.250984/

Chef Willies brats

5 pounds of pork cushion or shoulder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon of Cure #1
1 cup of NFDM
1 cup of milk

Coarse grind pork. Dissolve all dry ingredients into the milk. Mix. Rest. Stuff. Air dry 1 hour. Poach in beer (and onions optional) till about 145’ Internal temp. Finish on grill.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/244670/bratwurst-time

BratwurstSausage.jpg

You can omit the NFDM if you want, but I would suggest another binder such as Soy protein or phosphates etc. Chef Willie explains in the second link thread.

Good question on the cure. I assumed it gives a bit of that cure flavor, but also lends itself to the ability to cold smoke if you like. Don't need it if you make them to be Hot smoked/grilled.

Hi All Don't have time for another binder. I'm going with Chef Willies Brat recipe, just break it down too 2lbs.This is going to be stuffed tonite or tomorrow.
Thanks Dan
PS I've used Soy before, didn't really do much,NFDM worked better.
Wife can't milk products.

Last edited:
I use phosphate in mine:

• 2.8 (45 oz) lbs lean butt
  • 1.2 lb (19.2 oz) lean beef
  • 1.25 lbs (20 oz) Pork Fat
  • 1.5 tbls plain salt
  • 1.5 tbls sugar
  • 1.5 tsp black pepper
  • 1.5 tsp mace
  • 1.5 tsp caraway seed
  • .75 tsp ground ginger
  • .75 cup whole milk
  • 7.8 grams phosphate (optional)
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram

Make sure your spices are fresh!

Reactions: chopsaw
This is the best Brat recipe I have. I made the calculations for exactly 2 lbs of pork. Use a medium grind on the meat and very fine grind on the Mustard seed and Nutmeg. Stuff in hog casings.
Bratwurst.png

Sounds like you have it dialed in Dan. I did a post a while back about Thai Brats I made that uses powdered coconut milk as the binder in place of NFDM. That worked pretty good too in my experience. That may not be a flavor profile you want or could even get your hands on any today, but is just a thought. That has led me the idea and have been wanting to try powdered creamers (could be non-dairy) for a little more fatty richness than NFDM has.

If you can't get caraway just leave it out . If you are after a German flavor profile , I would stay away from anise and fennel .

If you can't get caraway just leave it out . If you are after a German flavor profile , I would stay away from anise and fennel .
Agree 100%. You should be able to find caraway at any grocery store. If they don't have in the spice aisle, go to the bakery. If they bake rye bread, they will have caraway. That being said caraway is what gives you that German flavor

Agree 100%. You should be able to find caraway at any grocery store. If they don't have in the spice aisle, go to the bakery. If they bake rye bread, they will have caraway. That being said caraway is what gives you that German flavor
Thanks Dan

Hi All I went with the Brats..Just ok could have used more spices.
icon_cry.gif

Thanks DanB
Which recipe did you use ? I have had the same out come myself . So I buy a mix from sausage maker . Mid west bratwurst . Very good for what I like , and no disappointments . I know you say no dairy , so that may not be an option for you . Look thru Len Poli's site under fresh sausage .

Reactions: shannon127
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky