braising steak what to do with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingchristo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
ive been given some braising steak off my dad and would like to do it in the smoker but don't know what to do to it. Does anyone have any ideas thanks guys

Need a little more info. Which particular cut is it? There are several considered “braising steak” and the approaches would be quite different.

Not too sure was just told braising streak, they don't tend to say what cut it is from when it is from the supermarket.

I would think you could smoke the meat with SPOG seasoning on a bed of onion for 2 hours in an aluminum pan. It should get put in a casserole with the onion and beef broth and garlic to finish . Make a gravy out of the strained liquid and dump it back over the meat to serve. mushrooms sound good.

That sounds really nice do you use the spog by humdinger or another one

Salt pepper onion and garlic powder I just mix my own.
Seasoning salt and cracked black pepper would work for the braising steaks.
Low oven for a couple hours in beef broth covered with foil with the smokey onion and some added mushroom . should be tender. 300 oven perhaps.
Kinda like Swiss Steak.

Last edited:
I've seen the term "Braising Steak" on packaged supermarket meat before in the U.K, but not in the U.S. It's always a tough cut of meat such as chuck, flank, skirt, etc and the name itself should be an indication of how to best prepare it, in a braise. Sear the meat well then put it in a heavy lidded container such as a Dutch oven, add some liquid (water, stock, beer, wine, etc.), a mirepoix of minced onion, carrots, celery, garlic, your favorite herbs and spices, and cook it slowly at around 275F for 4-5 hours. Check the meat and if it isn't tender enough for you, then continue on until it is.

Smoking it alone for an extended period of time will result in nothing more than a cooked and finished piece of meat that's still going to be tough as well as dry. If you want to add a smoke flavor then do so for a couple hours then proceed as above with a braise.

Sounds gud I usually braise it in the oven but wondered if it could be smoked. I will smoke it for a couple of hours then put it in the oven like you guys said should be nice that

Would you put any beef stock on the bed of onions while in the smoker

I'm not sure.. I think a couple onions sliced up may hold enough liquids to keep from burning. Maybe a bit wouldn't hurt. Just would rather have Smokey onions rather than Smokey broth or stock.

Those pieces of meat generally look like thin steak right? in the oven you would have liquid enough to not quite cover to let meat brown some and for thickening to making your gravy later. would be good on wide noodles too .

Ya it is like thin steak I'm going to season it then smoke on onions like you said then put them in the oven with the broth to finish it off should be really nice

Well I'm going to give this a go on Saturday so ill do abit of a write up of how it turns out with some pics. thanks guys for all the help once again this is a great forum

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky