Bradford Pear?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Buddy just put 3 Bradford pear trees on the ground. Would these be a good wood for smoking? I've seen mixed reviews online. What do the brethren of SMF think?

I have two small sticks of pear drying, but havent used any yet. It’s a fruit wood, well non-beating fruit wood, so It can’t be horrible.

No , at least not for me . I've tried it , wasn't good . Smells terrible . It's not a member of the pear tree family .

Reactions: wbf610
Chop, I beg to differ. Bradford pear IS a type of pear, it's just a different species of Pyrus from the common edible pear. The unpleasant odor of the wood typically occurs only during the flowering period. It should be as good for smoking meat as any other fruit wood such as apple, peach, and cherry. These are all in the rose family.

That said, if you've tried it and don't like it, so be it. You speak from experience. I can't say the same.

Reactions: js0813 and wbf610
Dave , I'm aware of the facts you mention above . The fact that it's not in the edible fruit species separates it for me .
It was more a matter of not using it . Smelled so bad , never put the food on .
Thanks .

Bradford pear is an edible fruit tree, most don't because of lack of cross-pollination. Not sure what you had, but something was wrong with it or it was something else entirely.

Bradford pear is an edible fruit tree, most don't because of lack of cross-pollination. Not sure what you had, but something was wrong with it or it was something else entirely.
I know exactly what I had .

Swamp I gave you my opinion base on having tried it . Take it as you will . Good luck .

Thanks Chop. I'll dry some and make a fire with it to smell the smoke. Will make a decision from there. If nothing else, firewood for fire @ the camp

Reactions: chopsaw
A Bradford Pear tree is one of the most ecologicaly destructive trees one can plant. There should all be destroyed. This is a well known fact amoung ecologists. Don’t be fooled by their pretty bloomage.

Yea really I never heard that, I have three in my yard. There are hundreds of them in the Houston area, it's a formal tree that is used by a lot of landscape architects, because it grows into a pear shape (which I'm sure has nothing to do with the name) and needs very little trimming. Ours normally don't produce much of any sort of fruit. Every once in a while after they have flowered, a little pea shaped fruit does get produced but not exactly edible. Maybe its a different species of Bradford, don't know. Anyway they only have about a 30-35 year life span, and one of mine is about to go. I'm definitely saving the wood for my stick burner.

I did and came up with this. Never heard of the cross-pollination issues, would have an issue with that if I were a farmer for sure !!!

Bradford Pear Issues

Still going to burn some in my stick burner, and yes I am going to cut an old one down, can I get an environmental star on my forehead? :)

Reactions: yankee2bbq
The tree comes from China, Korea, Vietnam area. It is not sterile. It will cross pollinate with native species. There like crabgrass a real pest. Cut has many as you can and burn them up.

Reactions: wbf610
SLW210

The Bradford Pear tree is inedible another well know fact. Poisonous? Depends on how many you eat. Don’t let your dog eat them. Pick enough you can make wine from them though. Just like a puffer fish its all in the preparation.

Bradford pears are sweet to taste. granted they are for eating out of hand but could be used for jelly or baking. pretty good wine too. So the wood should make a good smoke but probably for something light like poultry.
Side note any of you that live where there are fruitless mulberries, they are excellent smoking wood as well. think of the crab apple,, can't eat it but makes good smoked pork, bacon and if you like for other meats go for it, I say. I never would have thought oak would work; thought it to heavy but makes good beef/bison/venison and sea salt. learned that last from my daughter. okay i'm thru

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky