Bought FLAT brisket by mistake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
The mistake was that I didn't know any better at the time. That's why I joined the forum--to learn from you fabulous folks. I know you probably wish i would settle down and shut up but I am like a kid in a candy store. You folks know so much and are willing to share it. I will shut up the rest of the day after this one. :emoji_blush:
So for my small thin 5 pound FLAT--I assume (from reading on this forum)--I should inject it AND cook the "Myron Mixon" foil pan way? If this is wrong--let me know.

When I smoke a flat I inject the night before. Smoke for 2-3 hours then I put it in a pan with some smokey au jus, some butter and sometimes a little beer then cover with foil and back on the smoker. SmokinAl SmokinAl has a method for flats on here that people seem to enjoy as well. I'll try to find it for you

Reactions: JLeonard

When I smoke a flat I inject the night before. Smoke for 2-3 hours then I put it in a pan with some smokey au jus, some butter and sometimes a little beer then cover with foil and back on the smoker. SmokinAl SmokinAl has a method for flats on here that people seem to enjoy as well. I'll try to find it for you
I put it in a pan with some smokey au jus ---------------What does that mean??/ Thx again, Charlie

I put it in a pan with some smokey au jus ---------------What does that mean??/ Thx again, Charlie
I make a double batch of this. It's from myron mixon book. I allow to cool then inject and place brisket in fridge over night. I reserve the rest and allow it to smoke in a pan along side of the flat. Then when it's time to place in the pan you have "smokey au jus" if you can't find the minors products then better than bouillon paste will work as well
Screenshot_20201115_154615.png

( I swear I will shut up soon....either after this question or whe I run out of rye whiskey) So--if I understand correctly--you put the empty pan in the smoker with the meat --separately?

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I like to keep it simple.
Put your favorite dry rub on it and cook it hot and fast, 350 for three hours uncovered and two to three at 325 wrapped in foil with apple cider vinegar plus apple cider sprayed inside the foil wrap.
No water pan and pull it when it gets soft and flexible.

( I swear I will shut up soon....either after this question or whe I run out of rye whiskey) So--if I understand correctly--you put the empty pan in the smoker with the meat --separately?
The forum is a place to ask questions so don't worry about that. Pan of au jus.....meat on the side for 2-3 hrs. Then put the flat in the pan of au jus and cover. I add some butter and sometimes some beer

Reactions: Millberry
I like to keep it simple.
Put your favorite dry rub on it and cook it hot and fast, 350 for three hours uncovered and two to three at 325 wrapped in foil with apple cider vinegar plus apple cider sprayed inside the foil wrap.
No water pan and pull it when it gets soft and flexible.
WOW---I never would have suspected that answer. Thank you somuch---so much

The forum is a place to ask questions so don't worry about that. Pan of au jus.....meat on the side for 2-3 hrs. Then put the flat in the pan of au jus and cover. I add some butter and sometimes some beer
Well---I really appreciate it. One day- tell me what kind of smoker you have and where did you get such a pretty gal?

The mistake was that I didn't know any better at the time. That's why I joined the forum--to learn from you fabulous folks. I know you probably wish i would settle down and shut up but I am like a kid in a candy store. You folks know so much and are willing to share it. I will shut up the rest of the day after this one. :emoji_blush:
So for my small thin 5 pound FLAT--I assume (from reading on this forum)--I should inject it AND cook the "Myron Mixon" foil pan way? If this is wrong--let me know.
I've done a couple small ones like that because it's just two of us and you have nothing to worry about except good smoke, wrap before it gets dry and cook until tender. Heck I throw smoke on it for 6 hours then wrap until I'm tender which is another 6 hours (225⁰) generally about 204 internal temp. I do inject the day before and make an au jus for the meat it has always been tender, juicy, and awesome.

I would think you could just do what olaf olaf said. Cook it normally with clean smoke. When it hits around 160, wrap it and continue to cook until past the stall.

I've never dried one out, and I have never injected one. Not that I am saying you shouldn't do that. Just doesn't seem necessary.

But, I'm a newbie here, so I am not trying to be disrespectful if I come across as such.

Reactions: Millberry
There's not a "my way is the only way" answer here. As with any other BBQ meats. More than one way to skin a cat and definitely more than one way to smoke a brisket flat. Try as many ways as you can until you find what works for you

Reactions: MJB05615 and olaf
There's not a "my way is the only way" answer here. As with any other BBQ meats. More than one way to skin a cat and definitely more than one way to smoke a brisket flat. Try as many ways as you can until you find what works for you
That's what I was getting at. Lots of ways to do this. You guys are way ahead of me with this recipes for injections. Sounds and looks good.

I've done a couple of Points that I separated from Flats, (using the Flats for Pastrami at later dates), and I cook either of them just like I would a whole Packer Brisket. Basically what was said above, rub, inject the night before. Smoke uncovered until a certain temp, etc. The end goal is juiciness and tenderness. Maybe take some pictures? We love pictures of everyone's cooks.

I've done a couple small ones like that because it's just two of us and you have nothing to worry about except good smoke, wrap before it gets dry and cook until tender. Heck I throw smoke on it for 6 hours then wrap until I'm tender which is another 6 hours (225⁰) generally about 204 internal temp. I do inject the day before and make an au jus for the meat it has always been tender, juicy, and awesome.
You don't realize how much I appreciate that. I feel better already.Thank you

Last edited:
I would think you could just do what olaf olaf said. Cook it normally with clean smoke. When it hits around 160, wrap it and continue to cook until past the stall.

I've never dried one out, and I have never injected one. Not that I am saying you shouldn't do that. Just doesn't seem necessary.

But, I'm a newbie here, so I am not trying to be disrespectful if I come across as such.
Love ya man! Thanks a million

Reactions: Displaced Texan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky