Bought a Dutch Oven and Made Split Pea and Ham Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Several days ago, I was at HEB (TX supermarket chain) and saw a display of heavy cast iron, enamel clad cookware. I have been jonesing for an enameled DO; and at $30 for a 5-qt. unit, I didn't say no. The pot is heavy at 12 lbs. empty with lid. The brand name is CocinaWare.

It took its maiden voyage yesterday. I made a potful of split pea soup with ham following a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

I was impressed with the DO. It heated quickly and evenly on the ceramic top range that we have (which is much more than I can say for a lot of steel pots we've used). The recipe calls for sautéing onions to start. I used a few drops of EVOO as usual and it heated very quickly and cooked the onions perfectly without having to fuss over them. The rest of the recipe went off perfectly. The only problem I had was that I tended to overheat the pot because I've always had to do that with other pots and pans on this range. Clean up was a breeze with no sticking or staining which I take to mean that the enamel quality if very good.

I recommend this DO for its quality and economy.

I also recommend the ATK pea soup recipe. It was delicious.

Last edited:
We use our DO's several times a month and love them.   

Sounds good to me...I solved the overheating thing with my DO with one of these
ir

Man, that is one beautiful Weimaraner in your avatar. What's the name? My in-laws had Weimaraners 50+ years ago. They were wonderful dogs and very intelligent if one took any time with them.

That diffuser would be useful but I doubt that I need it. My problem stemmed from the fact that I used settings that were too high because I've had to overheat a bit on most pots to get a boil or a simmer or a sauté.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky